Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a swap meet the other day and this guy had license plates from all over from all sorts of time periods. I found a 1965 Indiana one for my 65 Gal in decent shape. Rumor has it that my state is gonna let us actually register using old plates if we wish. Kinda cool. Anyone interested? PM me and I'll pass on his info to you.
Also, didnt I see something on here once about a company that specializes in restoring old license plates?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 8/25/06 1:19am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 8/25/06 1:22am ]</font>

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
That's what I might need to know in the future, the license plate repair. I have the original plates but the front one has a hole in it from a rock. The rock was behind it when I'm guessing the car was pushed backward with whatever against the plate and the rock pushed through and dented it.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
i need to paint mine, i have the original cali black plates and one got crushed, well i got it straight now i need to know what kind of yellow reflective letter paint to use...any ideas?

·
Registered
293 Posts
When I went to register my comet they told me to bring in the old black and yellow plates...I said they were gone. Now they are just on the garage wall.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
No reflective paints were used on the old black 'n yellow California plates. Reflective didn't start until the white and blue plates came in. (even Blue and Yellow plates were non-reflective). As far as I remember, they started the reflective paint thing on the "personalized" plates. Later, the cops and safety mavens convinced them to use on all plates.

... When I went to register my comet they told me to bring in the old black and yellow plates...I said they were gone. Now they are just on the garage wall.
If it were me...I would have screamed, whined, jumped through hoops to keep the older plates. As far as California old cars go, my personal opinion...the old Black 'n yellow plates just look cooler. Some people must agree, since they keep stealing 'em.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 8/25/06 9:13am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
tracer...ya know you cant use your old plates man?!
beowolf.. thanks for the tips
shotrod..hammer it back or make a copy in steel and paint it if its not repairable some in hollywood use cardboard plate just to keep the original plate, just that raises the cars value in some eyes, plus its cool for the greaser wanabees

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
I think last I checked in Oregon, you can use the old yellow, or blue plates and register them as a vanity plate. Anyone still in Oregon know? I want to register my car with old Oregon plates at some point.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
I'm not in Oregon and not sure about the rules/laws on that but there might be some infor on the dmv website. I still have my Oregon plates that were originally on the car. Not sure on adding later but mine as is, is just registered as regular. I have the blue plates.
It used to be for 10 bucks you could take the plates that were still good on another car as long as you had the title for the car you were removing the plates from and put them on your other car. But that was like 30 yrs ago when I did it. Geesh, time is flying and I'm getting old. Don't realize how much time goes by til you think of something you did in the past.

Deb

·
Registered
331 Posts
In Florida you can have the plate, that is the same year as your car registered to your car. Car has to be 20 or 25 years old, not sure on how many years. Also, the plate can't be rebuilt, repainted, refurbished.

I have two, one on Cougar and one on Corvair. Just go down to the tag office get a form, go to the car show flea market and buy the correct year tag for your car/tk. Fill the form out, pay the fee and bring it all in to the office and they'll send it away for approval. You need to give them the plate too. Only takes a week or two. When you get it back you fix it, if needed. I bought unissued plates at the Turkey Rod Run. They were new, never issued, great condition.

They look good on the cars too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts