Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course you have... I'm just wondering can you have a place, like Maaco, do it, and do a decent job?

I'd like to eventually repaint the burgandy '88LX. I want a more agressive looking color.... I was thinking either a color close to burgandy, so the door jambs and such dont immediately look out of place.

but lets say I wanted something totally different, like Titanium.... obviously the paint place could shoot the exterior... now how much trouble is it to get them to shoot the jambs....where else and what prep is required mininally?

thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anything is possible, just depends on how much you want to spend.

I'm going to attempt to change my car from white to black or a black cherry sometime next spring. A friend has all the equipment in his garage and we've done a few paint jobs before. Nothing professional, but adequate I guess.
I've got my fingers crossed already.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My brother had his '64 Corvette done from black to red and the only way to do it right is to remove all Wx stripping, seats, chrome and carpet. Paint all exposed inside surfaces and then the exterior. Pretty time consuming but worth it in the long run....Cost him about $4000.00!!

Good Luck!!
Cobrajack

·
Registered
116 Posts
I took my Torino apart for painting. I stripped it down in one long day.
The car was originaly Pewter, but had been painted several times. It is now 1997 Dodge Iris Blue, and if ya didn't know better, you would think it was the original color.
I had to strip it down to metal to get past all the sins. I have about $1000.00 in the paint and body work, and BTW Maaco sprayed it for me. Just strip the car down, take out the seats and door panels, put on an old set of wheels, call the roll-back wrecker, and let 'er rip.
Check my websight for details http://home.mindspring.com/~gts351/index.html

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 351cid on 12/23/01 2:43am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 351cid on 12/23/01 3:07am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I dunno if you are willing to go to Sacramento to get it painted, but Gamboa's does one hellava job for cheap.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I dunno if you are willing to go to Sacramento to get it painted, but Gamboa's does one hellava job for cheap.

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
The previous owner of my car did a diy paint job, turned out decent, but the door jams and inside the trunk and all is still the original color of the car, overall its ok, but needs redone. I personnaly like this yellow rather than green.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i'm going the diy method myself currently the car is white but i'm looking at painting it either bright green or blue the interior is being recolored to black.but i'm only going to concentrate on the exterior as far as color goes the jambs and other visible areas are going to be flat black i've seen a few cars done like this.

·
Registered
60 Posts
its actually easy to do. you just have to have patience and the right environment. my brother and i stripped my mustang and took it down to bare metal (the pictures are mentally painful to look at). we primered it and gave it to my friend to paint it acapulco blue. We put a white c-stripe and have to say that hard work really does pay off in the end.

·
Registered
804 Posts

Wow this thread is old.

Now that I got that out of my system. Find a community college that teaches automotive painting. Once you complete the course, they usually have a special projects section in which you do whatever you want and have access to paint gun (the one I took it at had really nice sata 2000 guns and others I forgot), top of the line down draft booths, tools, supplies, everything needed. All you gotta do is pay for what you use, and its a hell of a lot cheaper than most places. Depending on how well you spray using quality paint you can get a spectacular paint job for under $1k.

Also the instructors at the local college are all pros with more than 2 decades of experience at least. I don't even know how they notice such small imperfections when blocking the car in prep.

And obviously time would be a big factor in doing this, but if you can fit it in it's definitely worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,472 Posts
Dont even have to have the right environment sometimes.. I painted my sons car right in the driveway. didnt turn out too bad for a quickie paintjob. We did the jambs and all. Painted the car in sections. It is far from perfect but not too bad for a 17 year olds first ride.

Keith/Bumble

1 - 16 of 16 Posts