Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the oil pan in my 67 mustang coupe, 1) because my oil plug is stripped
2) to check out where the metal shaves are coming from (been happening for like 5 yrs now)

What needs to be done to remove the pan while the engine is still in the car? Can I remove that crossmemeber right under it? Will i be able to get it back on or will the car flex while its off?

Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've done it several times on my 66 mustang. I would imagine about the same level on difficulty on a 67. Just have to remove that brace that runs under the pan. You may have to loosen the motor mounts enough to jack it up slightly to make the job easier though.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
All good info above. No you won't hurt your car if you remove the brace and you shouldn't have any difficulty putting it back on as it is not normally under tension.

Some say to remove the starter too, althought I never had to. The oil pump pickup will give you a little bit of a pain--it can be removed once you get the pan loose--its only 2 bolts.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've removed and installed mine on my '66 many times recently for one reason or another. The last time being last night. I can do it now in the time it takes some people to change their oil.
The large bar under the pan needs to be removed. It is 2 7/8" bolts. Then it's just removing all the 7/16" bolts down the sides of the pan and the 1/2" bolts at the front and rear of the pan. Of course be sure to drain the oil first unless you want a huge mess. The pan should come out easily.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've pulled the pan off a '67 small block car without removing the brace but you have to remove the motor mount bolts and jack up the motor a bit. It was a very rusty car and we were worried about the crossmember bolts being stripped so if you can unbolt the crossmember then your good to go. Stu

·
Premium Member
883 Posts
on my 69 i dropped the bar and just pulled the pan while wiggling it around. It comes out after about 30 seconds of moving it around the oil pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.