Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm going to pick up a '61 galaxy but i don't have a car trailer. has anyone put one on a uhaul/penske/something i haven't asked setup?

have plenty of truck to pull it... just needs to fit.

specs i read are: car is 80-81" trailer is 79

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
I've hauled my '61 on a Uhaul trailer. Just tell them it's a Falcon when you rent the trailer. Galaxie is not in their database of "cars that fit".

·
Registered
219 Posts
You've got a lot of trunk on that thing.. Things I ran in to trying to fit my 67 was the trailer I first had was too narrow between the fenders and the dovetail was too steep and caught the bumper. I'd also measure your bottom of door to ground and your trailer floor to fender top. That will tell you if you can open the door to get out of have to dukes of hazzard it out the window. Where are you located?
Brian

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I rented one for my 64,left fender on trailer have two rubber straps one on each end.Pull to unhook and fender pulls down so you can open door.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
I used a uhaul to get my '67 parts car from PA to VA; no issues whatsoever.( It was a complete car) The doors had no problem opening either.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have used Uhaul trailers to haul a few 62 Galaxies and a 63 and they fit fine, even with the older style trailers.

Once I drove 12 hours to pick up a car. I went to the Uhaul store and told them I needed a trailer. They asked me what kind of car I was hauling, and I told them a 63 Galaxie. They said that my half ton full size Dodge Ram truck with a class III hitch wasn't enough to haul that car, and they wouldn't let me rent the trailer. I had hauled a few Galaxies with this truck before with no problem at all. So I went to the next closest Uhaul store and told them I was hauling a Toyota. They rented me a trailer and I hauled the car home with no problems.

Once I was hauling a Galaxie with a Uhaul trailer and it was very squirrelly at 50 mph and over. I stopped and checked the air in the tires and they were low. I aired them up to the proper PSI and everything was fine for the rest of the trip.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I have found over the years if you need a trailer once you will need it again. That is why I just buy one and I don't have to worry about getting one when I need it. I only use mine about two or three times a year but it's there when I need it and in top shape.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
I rented one from u haul to tow a 64 Galaxie from texas to louisiana and like the rest said tell they that its a falcon or they wont rent it to you!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
thanks guys... it was gonna cost a grand and take a week to deliver it and i really didn't want to do that.

So stoked to pick up a '61 4 door with a 352 power steering & AC tomorrow.
just don't trust the unrestored car to make it from michigan to north carolina without leaving me somewhere..

So follow-up question...

New 5.0 (coyote dohc) EFI swap... or build a cross bolt FE for fuel injection..

(either will get a pair of turbos at some point)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts