Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at upgrading the ignition system on my 67. I'm wanting to get rid of the Duraspark that I'm running now. The dist. is starting to show it's age. I was looking at the Holley Strip Annihilater system with one of their distributers too.

Has anyone run or are currently running one of these or similar? Are they any good? Or is an MSD system a better choice. Just wanting to know if anyone knows the pro's or con's to one of these.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I know of 2 guys that have had probs with the holley system with odd misfires.Both swapped to an msd 6al,end of probs.These might only be isolated probs though.Personally i would stick with MSD.

·
Registered
440 Posts
As long as you guys are talking about
ignitions, can anyone offer their advice
on upgading a mildly built 302 ignition
system that is used for all street?
This is an 83 GT Mustang. Is there actually
anything to be gained by going from stock
to an MSD system? The engine is never reved
past 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greg, I knew a guy who had a prob with his too. I was just hoping it was just him. I liked some of the features the holley offered like 2 rev limiters, rpm operated switches, timing retard (like for N20), and a startup retard feature. The price wasn't too bad either; which is what made me interested. But I guess I should just stick with the tried and true MSD. I hate to spend money on something thats junk.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Hey Guys I just installed the holley unit on the comet. I works great In two weeks we will have it at the track. our MSD was staring to bite it so we went to the holley
Alan

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey radracing. What holley system did you use?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Hey Ron
We went with the strip one with timming retard for start up and two rev limiters. when it is on the rev limiter.I sounds better then the MSD like no strain on the engine and you have 10 combos for a better balance on the engine on the limiter we looked at them all and made our choice more bang for the buck
we shall see an the race season starts in two weeks
Alan

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Let us know how it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts