Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback on these headers for 351 Windsor into 65-70 mustang,specifically how they work with the stock clutch linkage?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Beat 'em with a hammer first. They completely suck.

Go get Ford Power Train headers and be done with it.

Yes. I sold my 6208s for the FPTs!

And they came out of a 68 Mustang, 4spd into a 70 Cougar automatic. Either way they are a bi_ch to deal with.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow I'm surprised allenman.Do you remember specifically what the problems where?I've had pretty good feedback from a couple of guys on the mustangsandmore site.One says they fit excellent no problems on a 69 mustang 351-C4 and the other guy with a 67 coupe with a 351 and toploader 4 speed says they fit good other than he had to modify his clutch linkage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
if these are the Hooker swap headers for a 351 into a 67, they went in beautifully in mine with a C4.
i'm sure dealing with clutch linkage would be different though.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
On 2006-10-12 18:01, frdnut wrote:
Wow I'm surprised allenman.Do you remember specifically what the problems where?I've had pretty good feedback from a couple of guys on the mustangsandmore site.One says they fit excellent no problems on a 69 mustang 351-C4 and the other guy with a 67 coupe with a 351 and toploader 4 speed says they fit good other than he had to modify his clutch linkage.
On the 68 that was with a 351 + toploader and the linkage was tight so we had to ding the headers to get them to clear.

On the 70 that was a 351 with a C6 and for 70 Hooker forgot something. Ford changed the steering column to add a lockout mechanism which would not allow the headers to fit -- at all. I had to bend the lockout out of the way to get them to clear.

But even after all that, the problem was servicing the sparkplugs once in. #7 and #8 were next to impossible. In fact I resorted to removing the master cylinder to service #7!!!

And guess what? When I flowed the headers on my SuperFlow600 with my AFR heads the headers sucked! I ordered FPAs and the flow rate went from 92% (Hooker) to 98% (FPA). AFR heads have a squarer port than a factory Ford so that contrbuted some.

Ultimately on the dyno shootout the FPAs won anyway. Now I have no clearance problems and make the most power.

I would at least call Stan and get some advice from him.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Allenman what headers did you end up getting from FPA?..I was looking at the stepped 1 5/8-1 3/4 headers since I have edelbrock rpms with the standard size exhaust bolt pattern...What dyno shootout had these headers?..Also on the 6208s was the spark plug access problem due to power brakes?..I have heard that you must cut the lower piece of the Z bar assembly off and reweld it over a little for proper clearance with the 6208s and a 4 speed that is why I was looking for more feedback...If the FPAs are comparable power wise I'm probably going to go with them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got the ceramic versions on my 69' fastback now. Not easy getting them in even with the clutch z bar out of the way. Good fit around the heads and bellhousing-351w, TF heads. No probs with plug access on mine (not e-z, do-able though). The only pain that I don't like about them is ground clearance at the collector. I scrape the passenger side often-not real bad, but enough so I'm not real happy with the fit/look there. I'm gonna try to cut and reweld that one. 1-1/2 inch suspension drop on 265-35 series 18" tires up front.

Good header, good dyno #s overall. I'll keep them.
My 2 coppers.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GMH351 on 10/14/06 1:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow I'm getting so much conflicting info its unreal..I've had other guys say the ground clearance is excellent with the pipes no lower than their oil pans.If anything they say the pipes are a little too high requiring a bend in the exhaust to get under the tranny crossmember?...Anyone have pictures???

·
Registered
682 Posts
my supercomps which i had on the 402w were ok fit but getting my hand to take out #7 and#8 plugs were a bitch!!! the drivers side were hard to get to, had to take off valve cover still was hard to get the boot back on. they are long gone now im getting those FPA's headers for my new AFRs.

·
Registered
282 Posts
On 2006-10-13 11:18, frdnut wrote:
Wow I'm getting so much conflicting info its unreal..I've had other guys say the ground clearance is excellent with the pipes no lower than their oil pans.If anything they say the pipes are a little too high requiring a bend in the exhaust to get under the tranny crossmember?...Anyone have pictures???
Like these......??

Kevin

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah like those Kevin but I was hoping to get some pics of a set of the 6208 hookers in a 67-70 mustang..The more research I do I'm leaning towards the FPAs but its a lot of money for headers no matter which set I get so I want to make sure I'll like them.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Hi. Both cars were power brake too. The 4spd was my buddies car and we did not reweld the z-bar (Shelby!).

The dyno shootout? I paid for it. I ran my 418W up at Keith Craft's dyno for a day trying out all this to help y'all out.
In the HP world you can't skimp and make power. The FPAs even surprised Keith. I bought the 1 3/4" headers (not stepped) and they out performed the stepped and the 2" race headers.

Over on anther ford engine forum Joe Sherman has been contributing quite a bit and mentioned that the 1 3/4s are your best bet up to about 6800 RPM. Your mileage may vary.

I saved on the FPAs and bought the chromes. Personally I love the look. I have heard that the ceramics stay cooler but I wear gloves when pulling the plugs at the track so it's not been a problem.

You'll also find the overall quality of the FPA is top-notch.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do appreciate the real world experience Allenman..How much hp did the stepped headers cost?...I emailed Stan and he recommended the stepped headers for me with the rpms heads.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
~8 HP lower on the stepped headers

·
Registered
501 Posts
I run the steped headers and find they make realy good power. I think Allenman will agree that the steped headers did not hod my 408 back much.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks econodrag.Part of my concern was that the headers would hold me back if I ever built a stroker but obviously they work pretty well on your car

·
Registered
1,950 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
FPA all the way, awesome build quality, great clearance, looks good too. The guy is top notch in my book.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts