Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running Keith Black KB116 pistons in a 289? I was thinking of getting these for my 289. They are a .020 dome piston. WHen I was on their web site, their footnotes say the dome on these pistons will need to be modified for early 289 heads. I am running World Products Windsor Jr. heads. Does anyone know why they needed modified? Was it because of the combustion chamber shape in the 289 heads? Do you think I would need to with my Jr. heads? I emailed KB early this week and haven't heard anything back yet.

Or if someone knows of a piston that will give me at least 10:1 compression ratio without having to modify anything let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. I was going to take some vacation in a couple of weeks and build my motor. I was wanting to have everything ready for then. I didn't want to have any surprises like extra machine work. I was just a little worried I would have to modify the piston domes. I guess those pistons have bigger valve reliefs. Right? Thanks!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just installed the KB116 pistons in my 289 and I am using the c60e 289 heads..The modification they are refering to is in fact due to the chamber shape...You can either take approx .020 and .125 long off of the outside of the dome or slighlty open up the chamber. I simple installed one piston and slowly cranked the piston to TDC with no head gasket to find the exact mark. Wouldn't have been too bad if I didn't have to do it 8 times

NTMan
67 Cougar
289 +.030
KB116 .200 Dome Appro
54cc c60e heads (decked .020 fully ported and polished, studs, 1.94/1.6 rollers etc)
Elgin E952P cam.. 238/248 @.050 .536 lift
Victor Jr
700 DBLPumper
3500 Stall 4.62 8"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts