Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 block rebuilt to stock, I have the 67 timeing chain cover because the pan does not support the dipstick from the side of the block is anyone running a stock serpintine system with the old dipstick?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MidnightRider on 11/21/06 4:38am ]</font>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, you need to use the '67 timing cover, a reverse rotation water pump and the waterpump backing plate with the round holes.
You can also use the late model timing cover and drill the hole for your dipstick but the '88 timing cover doesn't have a fuel pump mounting boss.
I guess an '85 timing cover might be reverse rotation and have the fuel pump mount.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You ought to be able to use the 88 timing cover and drill for the dipstick (the spot is there for it). You can also drill out the fuel pump mounting holes and cut out the cast-in block off. Yes, virginia it CAN be done.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only problem I am seeing is the dipstic getting in the way of the stock alternator brackets

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MidnightRider on 11/16/06 2:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
123 Posts
On 2006-11-15 11:51, MidnightRider wrote:
My only problem I am seeing is the dipstic getting in the way of the stock alternator brackets
Define stock? 5.0 or vintage brackets?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stock 5.0 Brackets. I am using the setup from the 88 less the smog pump and ac pump, I am keeping stock idler pulley and alternator bracket the one peice to keep the belt aligned.

·
Registered
123 Posts
On 2006-11-16 11:35, MidnightRider wrote:
Stock 5.0 Brackets. I am using the setup from the 88 less the smog pump and ac pump, I am keeping stock idler pulley and alternator bracket the one peice to keep the belt aligned.
All I can say is it's been done before...
Not something I'm going to do considering how I'm setting up my 5.0 but I've seen it done.

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
I'm using a 1986 drive assemby on my 77 Mustang, I just gently bent the dipstick tube to the side, I have the 3G alternator if that makes a difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts