Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do either of these make noticable hp gains?
They look pretty cheap....

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I haven't used them and yes they look cheap but there must be something to them. Jet has come out with spiral tubes (I am not a efi guy, so don't know what to call them) for efi systems. You might want to check that out.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was on the Federal Trade Commission site
awhile back and stumbled onto some results
from their testing involving 3 or 4
different units that claimed to increase or
improve mileage/horsepower. As you know,
the FTC loves to spend our tax dollars to
determine the validity of such claims and
then it seeks to fine those parties that
it finds that make exaggerated or out and
out false claims.
At any rate, of the three items tested
on that report, the tornado thing was the
only one that did anything positive. I
recall modest Hp numbers and a slight
mileage increase being mentioned.
The other two things tested (had nothing
to to with the stuff from the tornado co)
failed miserably- one of them actually
caused a fairly significant decrease in
fuel mileage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As a bit of a hijack, 66GT you're like a neighbor there in Rancho. I'm in Fontana.

As far as those devices...I've never heard from anyone who actually used them, but all of the media type reviews seemed good.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I look at it like this.....if they did all they claimed to do....why doesn't the Ford, Chevy, etc, instal them at the factory so they can meet CAFE (I think is the govt accromyn that deals with fuel mileage requirements)?

Plus, they try to sell for for the Ford turbo Power Stroke direct injection diesel. A diesel such as this is different than a gas burner. The turbo swirls the air already and the diesel fuel is injected directly into the cylinder head, not the ports. So, how can it help atomize the fuel in my truck? My bets are none, nadda, nothing, zip. Same as they would for a non-carb'd car.

A motor with a carb, might help, but I serious doubt if much as they claim.

I've got some swamp land for sale cheap....

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
The ads I have seen, show it being placed on top of the carb inside the air cleaner.

·
Registered
627 Posts
For MightyMach- Just wait till Ron Marocco
finishes the drag facility he's doing in
Beaumont.
For Just Strokin- I was skeptical too about
the claims. The Feds say it does live up
to the manufacturer's claims- enough so that
they concluded the "Tornado" was an ok unit.
That's saying alot for the FTC, they don't
usually get a lot of positive results from
the tests they do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have Spiralmax arround my 4bbl holley and i noticed power increase about i guess 15hp. And i got better gas millage about 2mpg. Cant beat the price for what gains you get. My bro got one for his 1979 cougar and it made a big difference. In the future i am going to add 2 hoses going to my carb coming from the grill [ram air] and put 2 spiral max things in the hoses. Also i put one in my exhast, but i am going to put it right after the collector. It will pull exhast's out faster.

·
Registered
359 Posts
if you want to put those in you exhaust and in tubes leading you you intake why don't you use this thing called a turbo charger, been around for a whilw and I bet it works better

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you read what i wrote i am not puting in a turbo. The spiral max thing will suck more exhast out. Turbo use the exhast to drive the fan in the turbo and then it go to your intake totaly different.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Anybody done any real quantitative testing of these things? Dyno numbers or ET's?

Seems to me these things would just add a restiction to flow.

Anybody ever see the "superchargers" for flatheads that were spun by the incoming air? These new pieces sound about the same to me. If it worked 50 years ago, don't you think Ford would have adopted it by now?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only reason i ask about these units is because of the price.....$70 is a lot of money for some piece of metal that does nothing! Thats why I ask users of the product. If it works....I would consider getting it.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
As a bunch, all of us tend to be pretty skeptical about stuff like this. We've all seen the "atomizers", "fuel magnetizers", etc, and don't want to spend our hard earned cash on a piece of crap. I remember when the K&N air filters came out, I thought, "Oh boy, here we go again!" Then some reputable mags tested the thing and durn if it didn't work! Maybe we could persuade our "Ed's" of the site to plunk down some change and test one for us? What about it Jim?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts