Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about buying one but they seem pretty pricey. I am also concerned if I will like it or not. It would be going in a 73 Fastback with an FMX trans. They want $2695 for the unit. It sure would make for cruising down the highway so much better.

·
Registered
718 Posts
a friend has had one in his pickup truck for over 10 years and 100,000 miles and loves it. i'v riddin in the truck and it shifts into the gv and you would think it was part of the truck trans. its real nice. he hauls heavy loads with his diesel pickup. eventually i am going to put one on the backside of my toploader in my 65 mustang.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My partner and I have one installed on a 67 Mustang. Its a Bonneville car so the application is a bit specific. Works well tho. John--Las Vegas

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Until the last 10 years or so, I would say yes. However, much better options are here now at similar or better prices. For example, there are several threads and articles on this forum on how to use a 4R70W 4-speed wide-ratio overdrive automatic with locking converter for performance. A good used unit and good easy to use controller is under $1000 or $1500-2000+ for a complete fully rebuilt high-performance setup. There are other options, but as these are now becoming common in the market, the price for the much-improved performance is very hard to beat.

David

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My transmission is good and it all ready has a mild stall convertor in it. The trans was rebuilt many years ago but needs the selector shaft seal replaced. I wish that Gearvender OD was not so much. The price just seems crazy to me.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
The price is crazy. Complete new OD transmissions are often less. Good, low-mile used GV units are around for $450-700, however, most of them are for the C6 as they are commonly pulled from RVs and trucks. The C4 version is tougher to locate, but if you shop around a while, you'll likely find a good one for a fraction of the price. While it can't approach the lower 1st gear grunt and lockup economy of the newer transmissions, it would be better than what you have now for your purposes. Whether the cost is worth it is only your choice. Good luck!

David

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I;m running a C-4 Gear vendor combo, & its just to much fun, having 6 forward speeds, shifting from say, 1st to 1st over or 2nd to 2nd over u only drop , maybe 250rpm so your motor is always in its sweet spot.
you can put it in manual & shift all 6 gears or switch to Auto & the trans goes thro 1,2,3 & into OD automaticly.
I;ve never done the 1/4 mile since installing but, i have done Mosport, a 2.5 mile roundy world class track, with the C-4 GV unit we knocked 7 seconds off our lap times!
It is a bit pricey, but rebuild a 4R, buy the baumman controller & i think your getting close to 2K ,eh
All that said, shifting can be, how do i say, a bit clunky if your not at the right RPM, so sometimes it is like shifting a truck, my only complaint
I do plan on switching it out tho, & going with Fords latest OD & an aftermarket controller, just for a change

1 - 7 of 7 Posts