Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyhone please tell me what headers or exhaust manifold that will work with Explorer 5.0 V8 with GP40P heads in a 65 Mustang?

I don't have mustang but I do have a 64 Falcon with stock front clip. I am not sure the size of engine bay of 64 Falcon vs. 65 Mustang. I think they are close!

The Explorer 5.0 with GT40P heads are very easy to find. I found one with 100k for only $550. The 96 with GT40 are very hard to find and the onces you find have too much miles on them.

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have read that the hipo 289 repro manifolds will work, and that they will clear the plugs by a small amount,like maybe a little grinding etc. However all the info was centered around 65-66 mustang engine bay. I would assume that they would work in the Falcon as well. I haven't used either the P heads or the hipo manifolds so this info is only from what I read. Dwayne

·
Registered
465 Posts
You need to use the Falcon version Hi-po headers in a Falcon. Mustang versions won't fit. Even the Falcon version can be a tight fit. the problem is the drivers side header can hit the steering box. sometime some material can be ground off on the exhaust flange and possible careful shifting of the engine on it's mounts.

As far as fitting GT40P heads, some headers can be ground off enough to clear the plugs. I have read of others who were able get the Hi-po's to clear with some grinding. First you need to find some Falcon version Hi-po headers as they are no longer made.
R

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know this post is a few months old but I thought I'd post some info on the topic since I plan on putting P heads in my 66.

This manifold is from a 71-73 302 Mustang. A little grinding of the webbing between runners for plug clearance may be needed. This manifold won't work on a PS car since it dumps right where the ram is.

This is the stock manifold and the only point of interference. With a 90* boot and a little grinding, looks like it may work but the plug cannot be removed or installed with the manifold in place.

Off the shelf MAC headers will work but again a couple of plugs will have to be installed before installing the header. I'd suggest using platinum plugs and electronic ignition for 100,000 plug changes.

Just some general pictures to see relationships.

No, I don't have them in yet. I'm installing some Street or Track suspension components such as UCA, bar, springs, adjustable struts and roller spring perches. Street or Track LLC The parts are all high quality.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Huskinhano,

You will also have to watch out for burning your sparkplug wires and boots on the headers. Will have to get 90deg boots or ones that you can bend the boot to fit.
Keep your wires nice and tight, no sagging.

Been there done that with burned wires.

Waid,

If you need any shocktower mods to open up your exhaust options give me a call.

Jet

1 - 6 of 6 Posts