Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this posted on numerous sites and have yet to get an answer, I hope someone here can shed som light on the subject.

I have a Rostra cruise control on my 68 and it was set up with a speed sender consisting of a magnet on the driveshaft with a solid mounted sensor.

I am converting to an electronic speedo and will be using the sender from the newerAOD series ECU transmissions.
The picture below shows the sensor with two leads for the speedometer.

Can anyone tell me if the sensor has the output for the cruise control, it seems that there is a socket beside the wired plug thay looks like a plug goes into it.

Any one here familiar with this set up?

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
It will not work.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
+1. The socket in the center is for an optional cable drive on systems that use a mechanical speedo and an EEC or cruise control.

David

[EDIT] I am assuming your CC uses a single magnet on the driveshaft. The output of this sensor would not be compatible. This sensor would drive your factory mechanical speedometer and the output is for the EFI/EEC and factory CC that uses the EEC for input.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1. The socket in the center is for an optional cable drive on systems that use a mechanical speedo and an EEC or cruise control.

David

[EDIT] I am assuming your CC uses a single magnet on the driveshaft. The output of this sensor would not be compatible. This sensor would drive your factory mechanical speedometer and the output is for the EFI/EEC and factory CC that uses the EEC for input.
Thanks PSIG, thats the info I needed.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Time-out. I said I was assuming your CC used a 1-magnet (1 pulse per rev) sensor. Out of curiosity, I pulled-up the Rostra Universal CC instructions to see how it's different than the CC I got for my birthday a couple years ago. Anyway, what I found is that the Rostra can be set for various pule per mile inputs from various sensors. This should make it usable with the sensor you pictured, as it's designed to output 8000 pulses per mile. The Rostra instructions show a setting for 8000 PPM, so it appears (just a quick scan of the instructions) that it may be compatible after all.
:D
David

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Time-out. I said I was assuming your CC used a 1-magnet (1 pulse per rev) sensor. Out of curiosity, I pulled-up the Rostra Universal CC instructions to see how it's different than the CC I got for my birthday a couple years ago. Anyway, what I found is that the Rostra can be set for various pule per mile inputs from various sensors. This should make it usable with the sensor you pictured, as it's designed to output 8000 pulses per mile. The Rostra instructions show a setting for 8000 PPM, so it appears (just a quick scan of the instructions) that it may be compatible after all.
:D
David
Thanks David,
I too investigarted a bit further and found that the Rostra is able to work with any vehicle input from 2000 to 38600 pulses per mile so it should work.
The question now is can I piggy back the Speedo and the cruise control to the VSS.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I couldn't say without knowing the input resistance of each device. However, stuff made to read VR signals (very low volts and mA) are usually very high resistance, and so they can usually share signals. If it were me, I would try and if it wasn't responsive, I'd add a signal booster they could both read.

This is gonna sound crazy, but in that case I would consider wiring the output of the speed sensor to a GM 4-pin ignition module, which is made to take VR signals and convert them to 12V digital at several amps. The module makes signal boosting cheap and easy. You don't need all that power, just the signal handling and more power than the VR normally outputs, so the signal can be shared. I'd try direct signal sharing first and see where that gets you.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts