Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if/what the difference is between the different tail housing lengths of the AOD's? Most of the AOD's I've seen are same length as c4's, but I just picked one up and it's 1" longer in only the tail housing section? Is this stronger/better?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Nope. Lincolns and trucks are 1" longer. Just for fitment. Internals vary from model to model.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
It is a very easy swap to change the tailshaft and tailhousing to the shorter one.

it is
you have to completly disassemble both trannys to change the rear shaft.I dont call that easy

·
Registered
538 Posts
I used a pickup AOD.It was longer,so,I had my driveshaft shortened.$35.00,no biggie.I didn't notice the difference until I installed the tranny.I sure wasn't puling it back out.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pulled my old AOD out of an 89 f150 and it was the shorter one. This new rebuilt aod must be from a lincoln.

I would say it would be easy to switch out tail housings, but I'm not going to go through the trouble of pulling a tranny and then taking two apart to swap parts.

Another ?. The tranny is making a whining/whistling noise when I take off from a dead start. Is this normal or indication of what's to come next? Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I was saying it is a very easy swap to do if you are rebuilding it, the AOD is really not that difficult of a tranny to tear apart and put back together.

I have had perfectly good freshly rebuilt trannies whistle. In my case it was due to the vent hole being right under the hole cut for the shifter.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gork1rogues on 9/6/06 11:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually did buy a complete rebuild kit, seal installer kit and a rebuild video dvd, which I watched twice. It seemed rather simple in the video, but the kit had a ton of rubber o-rings which were never showed in the video. I chickened out and just waited until I found this already rebuilt aod. I still want to rebuild my original aod though. I've done some engine overhauls, but never any auto trannies.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll get the book and rebuild it over winter time. Any tricks I need to know? Thanks for the info.

Chris

1 - 11 of 11 Posts