Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wanting to swap an aod in where an FMX was, 73 mustang.
I have seen adds for aods out of F150 pick ups. Are these the same dimensions? I figured a later mustang or 2 door or 4 door sedan would work. Can any one chime in & let me know if there are some models to avoid if at all?
I am starting from scratch here, medium build 351w motor in front of it. What would you do advice appreciated

Thanks

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jetnoise on 8/2/06 9:03am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Trucks and Lincolns are longer than Mustangs -- tailshaft is longer.
Not a big concern... Some AODs are better than others but you can always swap out servos and drums.
The website above is good as well as some reading around the web.

·
Registered
460 Posts
One thing to watch for is first gear lockout on Police Interceptor models. I bought and rebuilt an AOD core that came out of a mid-80's Highway Patrol car. When I put it in manual low it would start out in 2nd. If the car were rolling backward, even ever so slightly, when the trans was put in manual low, the trans would lock up and abruptly come to a stop. The shop that sold the core explained that Ford did this on cop cars to keep the officers from over revving in first gear and blowing engines. It's done with a blank 'slug' in one of the passages in the valve body and can be changed with the right valve from a 'normal' car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts