Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Has anyone here put a AOD in there 66 or 67? I'd like to get some details if you have, I have to change out my weak green dot C4 anyway and thought having an OD would be nice since I want 3:50 gears in the back.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
They fit in 64's, so it should fit in a 66. You may have to modify or build a new trans crossmember. And shorten your drive shaft.

When I was going to install a AOD in 64 Fairlane, the Hooker 6134's headers driver side collector was going to need cut and modified to clear the bell housing. I chose instead to go T5 since my headers had been ceramic coated and I didn't want to damage the coating.

Jet

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have an AOD in my 67 Ranchero. Due to its larger size the cross member goes in the rear most holes (for C6) and as jet said headers can be an issue due to the AOD being much fatter. No tunnel issues and I used a Quicksilver shifter. My 3.50 rear gear works great (8"). I think PFA has headers that will work. I sure like the look of these.
http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/5Literheader/5.0L1.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey 44, is that your engine with an AOD on it? The headers do look good for sure! So far it sounds like putting the AOD in a 66 is possible.

·
Registered
337 Posts
No just an FPA photo.
I installed an 89 Mustang 5.0 & AOD in my Ranchero in 93. I have now put over 150,000 mi on it, total 200K on eng and trans. Purchased the FORD Racing 340hp crate motor, rebuilt a spare AOD and hope to use these headers, or similar when I install the motor. Looking for a good used 70mm mass air meter (for 24# injectors) and 65mm throttle valve, using an 96 Explorer intake. I could also use a good block plate, my extra shows some wear.
Also hope to install the Borgeson power steering box while engine is out.
Your car & my Ranchero are the same in the engine & trans area. I think I used a new stock 67 trans mount but may have rotated it 180 and clearanced the crossmember holes.
Good luck, it will work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts