Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, can anybody recommend some sites with information on AOD rebuilds, tips and tricks, etc.? I have seen a wealth of information about C4's on the old board, but very little about AOD's. The only site I've really been able to find is a T-Bird site (TASCA? or something similar), but it is manily AOD-E info, and I don't know how much is applicable to a regular AOD.

Also, what would you recommend for a daily driven '66 Mustang w/ 5.0 EFI? I like the simplicity and ease of modifications with the C4, but I also like the idea of being able to run decent gears and still cruise at 70 without wrapping up very high.
Also, my C4 is a '66, and it seems like '70 and up is where it's at for being able to build a decent C4 without hunting for obscure parts.

Finally, if I do run the C4, can I run an auto or manual computer? I've been told either will work with the C4, but I haven't really heard any hard info.
Thanks in advance for any info, and sorry about the long post.

-Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 67 with the aod and it is an outstanding tranny for a classic stang. Use the Lokar tv cable and put a shift kit in it to firm the shifts. After that it depends on hp. If u go much over 250 then u should upgrade the overdrive band to the 2 inch aode band as well as changing the overdrive servo to the "A" servo. On mine i installed a billet input shaft as well as a mechanical diode to improve another weakness. For aod info try www.beaumanengineering.com.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I recieved an e-mail along time ago about an AOD swap. Mail me your addy and I will forward it to you, Very interesting articles and info on it, I kept it for future reference.

Rick

·
Registered
84 Posts
A couple yrs ago I did a self-rebuild and upgrade after doing a lot of research. Wrote up the info, have kept gathering and updating. Also info on swaps into old Stangs (like my 70). Send me your email. [email protected]

·
Registered
338 Posts
Have you considered a Gear Vendor 2 speed overdrive? You can shift in or out of overdrive at any speed! 6 speed if you like shifting!
Using the Drag 2000 computor I saved almost a .5 second on 1/4 mile. Can't wait to try on the track.
They sell for $2095. about the same a a AOD swap and you can keep your C4 for reliability and a lot cheaper if you ever need a new tranny.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the theory of the Gear Vendors unit, but I think it poses many problems in real world use:

1. <LI> Cost-I'd still have to rebuild my C4, plus have my driveshaft shortened, etc.

<LI> There isn't much room in the tranny tunnel on a '66 Mustang, so I don't think it'd even fit without major work.

<LI> Exhaust fitment would be even harder with the GV unit

<LI> Who says they'll be around later on for parts?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea behind it, I just don't think it makes as much sense for my application.

-Brian

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
macx, I sent him the info you sent me, you were the one I was talking about. Thanx alot for that. I'm still thinking of putting an AOD in the Fairlane.

Rick

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hammilt, Do you own a GV unit now? I owned one in a F350 and unless the newer ones are different I can't picture anyone shifting 6 gears at a dragstrip with it. You have to deaccelerate every time you upshift the trans while downshifting the GV unit. Just like split shifting a 2 speed truck rear axle. Not a very good way to drag race.

Also I cant picture trying to fit one in a car, there big and heavy and need alot of room. On the upside I think there a great piece for a tow vehicle. At first I thought they would be fragile but I had mine for a long time and it never gave any trouble.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes I do have a gear vendor in my 67 stang fastback. As far as shifting,it is a manual swith or set at computor controlled overdrive when I reach 47mph. I can change from manual or auto shifting by the flip of a swich.
They must have updated these units since you had one. I can shift at full throttle (360+ HP.) in between each normal shift on my C4 wich gives me truly 6 gear ratios!
I happen to have my manual shift switch on the floor activated by my left foot. I have thought about mounting to the shift handle.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Oh! By the way it is weighs about the same as adding a Aod compared to the C4 by itself.
The gear vendor fit up in the tunnel nice and tight. They actually give you a extension housing designed for your car for good fit. Shorten the drive shaft about 7 inches.I did have to modify my x pipe by heating it and bending a little.
The reason I started research on gear vendor is the AOD swap would leave me to use shorty headers or custom headers.I'm very happy with my choice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yeah they must have changed them, thats why I asked if you actually had one. Mine was in the truck when I bought it,and it was a 85 truck. I had the records of when the previous owner had it installed in about 88, so I,m sure it was a different unit that they make now because mine had to have had the driveshaft shortend more than 7". It did have the manual-auto selector shift and the shift button on the floor, but like I said you had to lift the gas when upshifting the C-6 and downshifting the GV at the same time. Mine was a diesel and I really liked the OD as it quieted the noise of the engine at highway speeds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rick - just in case - I "improved" some of the info in those files in mid Dec, especially in the 2 smaller ones. If you didn't get ones upgraded 12/18, send me your email again and I'll resend.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rick - just in case - I "improved" some of the info in those files in mid Dec, especially in the 2 smaller ones. If you didn't get ones upgraded 12/18, send me your email again and I'll resend.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rick - just in case - I "improved" some of the info in those files in mid Dec, especially in the 2 smaller ones. If you didn't get ones upgraded 12/18, send me your email again and I'll resend. A little more & more accurate on upgrading plain AODs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts