Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 93 GT with an AOD. He bought the car used and has no idea what has been done to it but I've riden in it and its healthy. I would guess that with traction it should run mid 13's or maybe a bit better.

He blew the overdrive out of the AOD that was in it so somebody swapped in another stock AOD(not sure out of what) for him. He then noticed how harder it shifted with the original tranny so I told him somebody probably had put a shift kit in it. He has already blown the overdrive in this second AOD and the last time I rode with him I noticed it is already slipping when he hits second gear now. It won't be long before this second tranny is totalled too.

Is this just too much for the stock AOD? Are all the AOD's the same or are some better than others? If he takes his original tranny to a rebuilder are there some simple things that can be done to build it up so it will last? I told him not to try and hit the overdrive again going 100 with the throttle wide open because it might be a bit too much strain on a stock AOD.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The best factory trannys are in the Super Coupes and '92-'93 F150, but any of them can be upgraded. Overdrive was not meant for full throttle operation in a stock tranny.
I have the SC trans in my 5.0 converted Turbo Coupe, with a Trans-Go shift kit. Been doing just fine for 2 1/2 years and about 50 passes at the strip. Check out the link for info on upgrades.

http://www.baumannengineering.com/aodsupgr.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TurboCoupe50 on 4/7/02 4:29pm ]</font>

·
Registered
128 Posts
What he said. The WOT in OD is a big no-no for a stock AOD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts