Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I had a C4 in a 1961 Comet behind a 1977 302.

28oz balance, everything ran fine.

C4 went out and I swapped in an AOD and a 28oz flexplate.

Car drives fine, but there is a vibration in the engine now. Trans in Park, rev the engine and it is still there, so I ruled out the driveshaft. This was not there with the C4 and the only thing I changed was the trans. I did bend the water pump pulley reinstalling it but straightened it best I could and have another on the way. I doubt a water pump pulley can off balance an engine.

Am I missing something here. The C4 flexplate was 28oz and the one I put in with the aod was also 28, but it feels like a flexplate balance problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
Welcome to the Forums. If it turns-out that it is a flex plate issue, and your old C4 was a 164-tooth version (standard size in 1977), it will work with the AOD. You can put it back in. :tup:

David

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.

I did not put the fan back on the pulley, it's still 40 degrees here and I was just taking it for a quick test drive.

Thanks for the heads-up on the C4 flex plate. I'm going to need to count teeth on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C4AF-6375-B ASSY is stamped in my old flexplate. Tooth count is 160.

Should I use that flex plate or the Pioneer FRA205 flexplate. Technically a 1991 Ford Crown Victoria 5.8 flexplate, that I have read folks using?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,300 Posts
Ah, so you had quite the mix of parts, eh? You have an early '64 C4 flex plate. Bummer. It could have been any 164T C4/AOD plate from '65 to '97, and you'd be fine. Anyway, yes the one you listed or 101 others like this will work fine. Just 164T, 28-ounce, C4, C5 or AOD.

David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts