Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the tranny people.
Can an AOD be tested while out of the car? I have purchased a used one and would like to know if I or a tranny shop can verify its condition without having to tear it down.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody knows?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Too bad you aren't near, they are actually very simple to tear down and reassemble, at least for me after doing a few. Pull the pan and check for the obvious: clutch material, metal pieces, and burnt fluid. If none of those exist you will probably be ok.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fluid looked brand new filter okay no shavings. Trying to get it ready for my 69 to replace the C4. Is my drive shaft going to need to be modified?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
What's been stated so far is good. There is a set of 'air' tests you can run but you have to have an AOD 'test plate'. They run about $130 or you can make one. You can still test a few of the clutches without it if you have a rubber-tipped air gun.

As far as the driveshaft? The AOD requires a 1" shorter yoke. If you are thinking about keeping the C4 around then go to a junkyard and get and AOD yoke. Otherwise you might have to cut the last 1" off of it. TEST FIT yours first.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The conversion kit that CJ Pony parts offers comes with a new yoke I suspect that is probably why. The tranny was in a fox running 11s on a big shot of NO2. It has a fairly new Dayco 3500 stall non lockup. Still has the shifter cable and TV cable attatched.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts