Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AOD (I don't know what it came out of) that I bought about 2 years ago from a guy who had it sitting on his shop floor for about 2 years that he had for a project car but he decided to go 5 spd instead. So it's been sitting for at least 4 years. I put it in my Galaxie, yes the TV cable is adjusted. It will start off in first and just keep gaining RPMs with speed and it won't shift into 2nd until I let off the throttle. Once it hits second, it just keeps gaining rpms with vehicle speed but will never attempt to shift into 3rd. But when I let off the gas in second, it will coast with no engine braking felt. Then as soon as I push the accelerator at low or even part throttle, it just picks up the rpms according to the speed I'm going. It never neutrals out like its trying to hit 3rd. Seems to me that something inside is just sticking...I hope? ANyone out there have a similar symptom that was easily fixed? Maybe a valve body needs cleaned? I'm not a tranny guy obviously. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
After assuring that your TV pressure is BELOW 5 PSI with the throttle cable pulled 5/16", I can only think that it's sticky.

Before doing anything drastic, drain a pint of fluid and add a can of TRANS-X Tranny Conditioner, "NOT the stop leak trans-X"

Idle it for about 35 minutes to an hour, then drive it and work through the gears manually and see if it starts working normally.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They didnt have any w/o stop leak so I ended up getting Seafoam tranny additive. Ive had really good results with their other products.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
It is quite common for the TV valve to get stuck at high pressure when adjustments are made, as the valve moves farther than the original installation did. As FE said, a pressure test will confirm or eliminate this possibility. I would also verify you have the correct dipstick for your tube so it reads the correct fill.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forgive my limited knowledge, IF it is pulled out further than its stock travel, does it need anything special done to it to get it back to the correct location or will it need to be replaced? In other words, can I push it back with the tv lever?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so on every car I have had equipped with an AOD, I have always adjusted the tv cable by eye and shift feel. Well, the issue with this one that I didn't realize was that the tv cable arm wasn't returning all the way at idle so when I was adjusting the cable by eye it was already in a " not at rest" position to start with. I got a batter return spring and will test drive it and pressure check it when the rain stops. I'll let you know the outcome....

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The additional helper spring did the trick. It shifts like a brand new tranny now. It did stiffen up the gas pedal though. I'm hoping that after a few hundred miles that the tv cable arm might loosen up and not have to use the extra spring... If not, oh well.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
If your TV arm is not retuning to the stop, then it's either mis-adjusted, or if it's sticking the carb would be forced to a high idle. If it idles normally (without the helper spring) then it's time to re-adjust. There is no look and feel to adjust it. Simply release the adjuster lock, hold the throttle closed (off choke), verify the TV arm is at full stop, and lock the adjuster. The TV should pop straight on and off the carb arm with no pushing or pulling for it to go on (no slack or tension at dead idle). Then you can verify for correct pressure, but that's the simple and correct cable adjustment.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's a retrofit so it has the Lokar cable and linkage so it doesn't just slide right in. I never had an idle problem as the cable isn't stiff enough to push the throttle. Even with the cable removed, the tv arm wouldnt return to full stop. Its an interior spring problem.I will hook it up to pressure test it in a couple of days but for now I have erred on the side of having a little too much pressure than not enough. Im not driving it yet anyways, it's prepped for paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts