Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am putting an AOD transmission/302EFI in a 67 ranchero. I want to keep the column shift. What is the easy way to do this? The column shift linkage moves up/down and the trans linkage moves front/back? I tried Lakars shift rod but there wasn't enough movement front/back movement to shift the trans.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
103 Posts
I assume your AOD came out of a car with a cable-operated floorshift. The cable reverses the direction of the throw. To make it work with a column shifter, you can drop the valve body and reverse the shift lever. Then you will probably find the throw of the levers is different, which will make your shift indicator not line up properly. You can fix this by bending the lever on the column. (It will need a shorter throw, if I remember correctly.)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I put an AOD in my 78 Ranchero in place of the FMX. Actually has a local independent transmission shop do it. He's a big time Ford guy and said the AOD was an almost direct swap for the FMX. A small bit of driveshaft (shorten?) work was necessary.
Anyhow, I also wanted to keep the column shift. He said that it was no problem as the Ranchero has a 1-2-D quadrant.
AODs used 1-3-OD, I believe.
He used a stock linkage adaptor part and my linkage bolted right up.
So, around town, I drive in 2 that allows shifting in lower 3 gears.
On the highway, I shift to D and the OD kisks in about 60 or so.

Actually, 3 around town would be just fine, I guess.

He suggested the lower 4R70W gearset, shift kit, and a 2200 stall converter.
With a mild cam, intake and headers, this thing really scoots now!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts