Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped some parts i never needed for a couple of AOD transmissions , may not need them if they are a bad year for AODs. That's what i need to know is the year they are and what they came from. If somebody knows or can give me a link to a listing of AOD numbers it would be great. I don't want to start putting money in them until i know what year they are.

These are the numbers on the metal tag.

Trany no. 1

PKA M 31
017038 H5
E4VP DA

PKA M 32
080822 12 2
E4VP DA

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
LOL, I am kind of like FE, yep the casting suggests '84 but who knows, maybe david or kultz can decipher the rest of the alpha soup....

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What part says 84 ? I was hoping they were a little newer.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
They're talking about the E4 number, indicating 1984 design code. F4 would be 1994. I don't have my decoder ring on, but PKA is the code for an AOD. I think it's PKC for an AOD-E. Anyway, newer than the E0 or E2 series is good, and something tells me the -DA was 5.0 Thunderbird, but I don't remember well enough to guarantee that. Without my references, I can only give one clue about what it was in - if you pull the overdrive servo piston, A was used with 5.0L HO, B was 5.0L, and C was 3.8L V6. Also, the tailshaft housing casting was E-something for cars, and the shorter truck casting was F-something.

Kultulz may have his reference, or I could hunt for mine, but the AOD isn't my bag anymore. I'd just go straight for the 4R70W and an aftermarket controller. I only mention this, because building an AOD for serious street power will need a lot of expensive parts that can often cost more than using a much stronger 4R70W with a $150 shift kit and a $600 controller. I don't know what power you're looking to handle, but if it's over 350 or so, I would just go for the 4R.

Be aware, the 4R70W is just an upgrade of the AOD-E, and that's an upgrade of the AOD. However, the number an types of differences are many, and by '99, it could handle upwards of 500 hp in a street car with only the shift kit and magic box. Also consider though, with that $600 box, you can change your shifting from mild to wild with a knob. Same for when and how it locks-up, etc. Something you can't do with a non-E trans. Just throwing options out there, as you are looking at quite an investment in any direction.

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Study on this- Baumann Electronic Controls

I agree with Dave on the AOD. It will be fine for a restoration or mild street application but if you are building a thumper...

And there are many upgrades, both OEM and aftermarket. Research it.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Great information

:tup:___I want to thank everybody that took part for the help,great information. I was hoping they were newer tranys , but i got them allmost free so maybe i will use one. I was told they were T-bird tranys and they do have the short tail shaft housing. I measured them and they looked to be about 1/2" longer than the 66 C/4 i have. Not going to be much H.P. in front of it,stock 85 / 302 with a small 4/bl. Just looking for a way to save fuel since i need to get the C/4 rebuilt i may as well put the money in one of these. I'l take them to a shop that does some of my work i can't do and have him to check them out ,put seals in and what ever the best one needs. He said he would pick up a new torque converter and set up the lokar cable for me. So again ,thanks to all of you it's been a lot of help.__:D___:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts