Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting this for a friend of mine who has a 1984 Mustang with CFI (similiar to throttle bottle injection) and an AOD transmission. He just replaced his broken AOD with one from a 1988 Lincoln, but he cannot get the transmission to shift out of first gear.
What do you think could be the possible problem?

·
Registered
110 Posts
windsoreight, let me guess, you are applying your knowledge of other transmissions to this situation right?

an AOD should shift up without the throttle valve rod.

You have a stuck valve or a toasty clutch pack or a broken seal. Sorry man.

Let me know if you get it fixed!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I would think it would have something to do with a kick down machanizem (sp). or an up shift part. But I'm not a tranny man just makes sence.
Tim

·
Registered
809 Posts
The AOD uses the TV cable/linkage to regulate the the line pressure for shift firmness. Depending on the linkage setup, if it is disconnected the tranny either won't shift or slips badly and burns up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
put aod in 1983 mustang and it wouldnt shift out of first gear.ordered stainless t.v. cable from lokar,installed and adjusted with about one quarter inch slack,and it goes through the gears now!

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
Get the slack out of that cable or you will burn that AOD up fast. IOf you put a gauge on the TV test port (0-30 psi) and adust the cable to a point between 3 and 5 psi at idle then your transmission should shift fine and it won't burn up the AOD.
You can slowly tighten the cable until it shifts late and then back it off just until it shifts correctly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put a late model 302 with the AOD and had the exact same problem.
After I drive it a few minutes it changes a little better. The transmission shop told me that it's the governer that is sticking. He said it will normally clear up which is what has happened to mine. He said its not that hard to fix.
Hope this helped some.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey funbap,
way to resurrect a 3 yr old link.

If the OP didn't fix it already (original post in 2002)
it's probably been junked bu now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts