Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a new setup for my 70 mustang. I am currently building a semi-hot 351C and I would like to put this behind a TCI built AOD. This will mostly be a street car. I have two questions. First, is it a good idea to put an AOD behing a 351C and second, would this setup work good with 4.11 gears? I want to get the best of both worlds by having awesome acceleration and overdrive for the freeways.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
is it a 4v motor? If so, it produces almost NO low end torque. With no low end torque you need a high converter. With a high converter you want to keep the RPMs up high when cruising so your converter is not slipping. When the converter slips, it generates a lot of heat, heat that is not healthy for your Transmission. If you wanna go overdrive, go a stick (5 speed). If you wanna go auto and OD, I would think you should build the 2v for low RPM torque.

Hope I was right

Hope it Helped

Jeff Given

·
Registered
977 Posts
I agree with MightyMach's torque/rpm comments. Also consider that some of the trans companies offer higher-stall converters that have third and fourth gear lock-up converters. That way, you can run a 2500 stall (or more) for good launches without the slip at highway speeds. It seems like you can get a complete trans and converter package for about $1000. Also look at GER and other companies in any late-model Mustang mag.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I will not argue about anything that the other two guys said, exept one thing. Do NOT use GER. They are junk. I don't think you will find too many guys that will argue with me about that.

Good luck.

·
Registered
749 Posts
The combo should work fine. Only suggestion I would make is run a one piece shaft and and a nonlock up converter. THe TV cable can be a pain to adjust but it is possible. You MUST adjust the TV cable correctly or you will have the wrong line pressures which can hurt the trans. I went to a full manual valvebody and like it better but you no longer have "drive".

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
TV cables are easy, WOT & adjust the cable until it stops, check the function. NEVER use anything from GER... are they still in business?

·
Registered
749 Posts
qtrmiler:

yes, that is the poor mans way to do it...and it can and does work. Just make sure that the TV lever on side of trans returns all the way when throttle is in idle position. Sometimes the throttle travel and the TV cable level travel do not match up well. The distance from the pivet point to were the cable is attached on the throttle and or the TV cable lever on on side of trans has to be changed. Using a line pressure gauge is the proper way to set the TV cable but not totally necessary

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll use the lockup converter because I do a lot of freeway driving. Also, this is going to be a 2V motor, so it should have a decent amount of low end. I'm not sure if I'm going to go with a Performer or an Xcellerator intake yet. I'd like to use the single plane if I can, esp if I'm running high gears and a high rpm converter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts