Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching the interwebz for some time now (thank you Al Gore) and although I've come up with a ton of threads related to 500 XL bucket seat swaps I've found nothing specific to my problem. I recently purchased a set of seats and one of them had what appeared to be some type of adapter bracket bolted to it while the other showed signs of having had one. I know that there is a reinforcement bracket that goes under the car on the seat bolts closest to the tunnel and I've sourced them but these are different, they are flat steel plate with a threaded insert on each end. In the attached photo they are circled in yellow.

The red circled items are the bolt holes to bolt the seats to the floor. They are all threaded which adds another conundrum; on the factory bench seat there is a threaded stud sticking up at the front of the seat slider mount and the rear has a threaded hole thru the floor. You drop the bench seat onto the stud, line up the rear hole and thread a bolt into it and you're good to go.

Given that the bolt holes on the bucket seats are threaded what am I missing?

Please, someone with actual experience in this issue. I'm fully capable of postulating various scenarios myself thank you very much.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had a bench seat in my 63 and also swapped it for the XL buckets. I think I unscrewed the stud and just used a bolt. For the holes near the tunnel there is a factory divit in the floor for either the front or back hole. I drilled that one then just drilled the other one where it landed. I can try to check later this week if needed, I don’t have carpet in yet.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My 63.5 XL has exactly those brackets on the seats - in fact, from memory those brackets are on BOTH sides of the seats, not just one, and I haven't installed them UNDER the floor, I don't think the holes on the seat mounts will line up if you do.
I head what you're saying about the bolt holes/studs - I don't think any of my seat brackets had studs, they were all bolts through from the floor and they were a PITA...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, real.world experience. I'll probably pull the bench in a few days to trial the bucket seat tracks. I've torn the seats down to rebuild them but am waiting until I figure out fitment.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm going to go ahead and keep this updated with everything I've run into while converting from bench to bucket. First thing is that the brackets circled in yellow above are needed for the factory bucket install. They are mounted on the inboard runner of the bucket and do require 2 new holes per side. They bolt to the seat track as shown and then you bolt UP from under the floor into those brackets. The hole locations do have dimples in the floor so unless you've replaced the floor pan, rhino lined it or put dynamat down they shouldn't be too hard to see.

I'd already dynamatted mine but here's a few pics to show what it looks like from below:

This is the drivers side looking forward, see the half moon cut out approximately center picture in the under floor brace? That's the front one on the drivers side.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle door

This is the same thing on the passenger side:
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Drivers side aft dimple:
Tire Automotive tire Water Wood Tread

This is how the under floor brace will fit:
Sky Automotive lighting Wood Bumper Automotive tire

More pics from above soon.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Very nice photos - I don't have those under-floor braces, probably lost over time and now the under-floor bracing is provided by large washers....
I have my seat back as far as it can go and I am only barely comfortable in the car and my head presses gently on the headlining so I have to tilt my head slightly to the right to clear which makes my neck ache - some sort of fix that lowers the seat or moves it back a coupe of inches would be welcomed.
I'm not particularly tall - about 6'2"
Good luck with your install - keep up the photos

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some more photos from inside the car:

Not a great shot but this is the inner track on the drivers side. Requires a new mounting hole and then threads up thru the floor into the adapter that the seat track bolts tol
Gas Wood Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior

This shot shows the inner seat track bolted to the adapter that then bolts to the floor. Both of the bolt holes thru the floor require drilling at the locating dimples in the floor pan. A factory brace is available for under the floor but a couple of large heavy washers should provide ample support to the thru bolts.
Wood Water Composite material Automotive exterior Gas

This shot shows the front outer mounting point on the drivers side. Notice that there is a gap between the seat track and the floor. Ford used a 3/4" spacer to fill this gap, I haven't installed it yet. The threaded bolt sticking up is actually a stud that threads into the floor for the front mount for the bench seat. This is the only hole from the bench seat install that coincides with the bucket seat install.
Water Wood Fluid Composite material Flooring

This shot shows the rear mounting point of the outer seat track of the drivers side. Note the 3/8" bolt threaded into the floor, this is the original mounting point for the rear of the bench seat track. The buckets require the mounting hole to be drilled about 1" in front of the original hole.
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

This is a general view of the drivers outside seat track. As you can see it is installed without an adapter other than a spacer at the front location.
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

This is just a different angle on the rear inside mount, this is thru a new hole.
Brown Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood

This shot is an overview of the internal track which requires the adapter bracket be bolted to the seat track and then the whole assembly is thru bolted from under the car.
Wood Hardwood Flooring Lumber Plank

Just a shot showing both seat frame bottoms installed in the car.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior

This installation was guided by a very cherry 62 500XL that was purchased new by the owners grandfather and then frame off restored over a period of 10 years. I don't know if he's on the group but it was a beautiful car!

Now that the installation has been verified I'll take all of the seat frame components as well as a couple of other boxes of parts to the powder coater, order the upholstery kits and finish up the bucket install. Hopefully this thread will help others in the future that are installing factory buckets in their Galaxies!🤙

1 - 7 of 7 Posts