Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to put a 5.0 in my 65 mustang. Are all 5.0's the same? like if I put one from an f150 or a crown victoria etc. Any help please?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Basically, yes. You can bolt a 5.0 in the place of your old 302, 289, 351. You need to use a front sump oil pan and oil pickup. If you are swapping out a 289 or 302 you can reuse these parts from the old engine. But to say all 5.0's are the same is not true. Truck engines typically have lower compression and work well for towing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: latamud on 11/26/06 12:15pm ]</font>

·
Registered
712 Posts
5.0 HO roller motor, would be the best bet. LSC, Mustang, T'bird, etc. have them. Some HO's are better than others, I personally deal with Clevelands, someone that deals with HO's should be able to tell destinct differences.
Chris

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
ho has the roller cam with 351 firing order also some have forged pistons, some pass cars and trucks have pistons with no valve reliefs so using an aftermarket cam is not doable. also stay away from the 86 HO's.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Some crappy info being passed out here. Any 5.0 '86 or later from any car, Mustang, Coog, LTD/GrandMarquis, Towncar will be a roller block. Most will already be running a roller cam, but if they're not, it's all setup to go. Trucks/vans seem like they went roller block 88+.

91-93 coog, mustang, and Mk7 LSC are the only cars with HOs.

The "car" 5.0 They are essentially an 86HO motor with the flat top cast 86-type pistons a non-HO cam and 14# injectors, and usually speed density injection, as well as the crap E6 heads like the 86 HOs. Rated 140hp, unable to run a cam any bigger than the stock HO roller due to the crappy pistons. If it isn't a roller cam as is, its a roller block, so all you'd need to do is tap the holes for the hold-down and install the roller cam, lifters, and hold down plate.

The truck motors are different. They are essentially an 86HO motor with the flat top cast 86-type pistons a non-HO cam and 14# injectors, and usually speed density injection, as well as E7 heads like the 87+ HOs. Rated 165hp, unable to run a cam any bigger than the stock HO roller due to the crappy pistons. If it isn't a roller cam as is, its a roller block, so all you'd need to do is tap the holes for the hold-down and install the roller cam, lifters, and hold down plate.

·
Registered
123 Posts
On 2006-12-05 11:49, slik wrote:
I am not sure I feel more informed. Maybe a bit more confused.
About what? No lie, it IS a confusing subject.
I'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK I admit I get lost in all of this in a hurry, so please answer this as simply as possible. If you were looking for a rebuilt 5.0 that needed minimal changes (changes to components - pistons, cam, heads, etc.) in order to provide decent, not outstanding, power (around 250 hp). Which year/model would you all recommend and why?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts