Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The transmisions are still the same. They just use a non lockup converter. same valve bodies, drums etc. Torn apart more than a dozen and they were all identical inside. Only differences would be truck or non truck for the most part... Need a lockup valve body?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The transmissions ARE all lockup. 20 years later the converters either dont work or never had the clutch installed but the transmssions themselves were ALL lockup spec transmissions.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what it looks like. Ive never seen a C5 that didnt have the typical C5 valve body. It looks like the factories just used a different converter when they wanted a lockup setup. Its just a centrifugal clutch that isnt actually a lockup converter like you normally think of with electronic controls and solenoids to control converter lockup . It was a stopgap measure until Ford came up with an actual lockup transmission .

·
Registered
331 Posts
All C-5's are lock up. It was non electronic.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did they have the usual C5 valve body with the extra control body section and deep pan?

438" Dart Windsor, AFR 225 heads, 271/[email protected]" on 106 solid roller, 13:1 compression, Super Victor, crank trigger, 1050 Dominator, external oiling, reverse manual C4, 4000 stall, 4.10 Dana 60, Nitrous. Street '68 Cougar. 9.967 at 134 MPH! 1.44 60 ft

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mikeandnatasha on 12/17/06 11:10am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Yes 1 did ,it was from an 82 6 cylinder F100. It was the small case fill type.
The other was a pan fill type case from V8 ,had E2 casting code. It was all C4 ,valvebody as well. It had the fine thread front band adjuster,case oil hole #9 and the C5 sun gear with the bigger holes. This one had no converter but bellhousing was same depth as C4.
Seems to be few variations of C5 here then.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had a C5 from a 2.3 Ranger that was non lockup converter and it had an additional thin pressure plate in the high gear drum so that it only used 3 clutches.

·
Premium Member
4,418 Posts
The 6 cyl one i got has a thin wave plate but still had 4 clutches but had a .140" top pressure plate to make up the difference.

·
Registered
659 Posts
All the C5's i have had did have the lockup style valve body. I have installed shift kits in these valve bodies and they worked just fine. It is the converter that is lockup or not. The 82 i have right now was out of a Cougar V6 and it was a non lockup converter. I used that converter behind the 306 for a yr. it worked pretty good as i got maybe 500 more rpm stall.

·
Registered
88 Posts
So you don't nned to change the vb in order to do a shiftkit?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thats right i got a kit from Transgo. I think Broader Performance can also set you up with a kit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts