Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking on ebay I see a ton of these 1000lb engine stands and 4000lb engine hoist for $0.01 and $35/$135 shipping. I know they are all made in china crap but is it worth spending $500 on a US engine hoist? Even looking at the ones from summit racing look to be the same as the ebay ones.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
There are many different stands and hoists.
The main concern with any hoist is the weight that it's capable of lifting, good wheels, and the length of the boom.
My main lift that I use is portable and is very capable of lifting a big block and trans together. I bought it about 18 years ago for $300 at a local speed shop.
The wheels have ball bearings, which make it easy to move all that weight in any direction. I've been forced to remove the front bumper on a couple of cars because the boom wasn't long enough. Some booms are adjustable.
As for the stands, it depends on what you're going to do with the motor once it's on the stand. You can pick one up as cheap as $75 and as much as $300. I have two that I've used for 25 years now. One can handle a complete big block but it bows. The other is VERY sturdy and is designed for boring. Here again, you want GOOD wheels with locks on the wheels. Just make sure you can centralize the block on the stand so it doesn’t become top heavy. If it’s not centered, it makes it very difficult to flip the block around.
Also, make sure attachments are universal.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Harbor freight has a 1000 lbs engine stand that's not bad, and a decent collapsible engine hoist as well.

Both are reasonably priced (80.00 for the stand, around 200.00 for the hoist) and have been working well with my 460.

Greg

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yeah, the Harbor Freight stuff is pretty nice. Inexpensive as well...plus I get a 20% discount off the listed price...including sale pricing =). My mother in law has worked for them for years lol...least she's good for something!

Cris

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
When we were working on our '39 coupe, prior to the Falcon, I needed a way to get the body off and on the chassis by myself. I had a Costco cherry picker with 'goofy' wheels at all 4 corners which helps for making small adjustments in position. But the hoist was too big and in the way when I didn't need it and a pain in the rump to re-assemble when I did need it. Here's what I came up with as an alternative.

It didn't take me too long to figure out that it was a heck of a lot easier to get the engine in and out of the chassis this way too. When we abandoned the coupe and moved to the Falcon it was a simple matter of rolling the car under the hoist and pulling the motor out or dropping it in. Hang the engine leveler from the hoist and away we go.

12" x 12" by 15' beam was around $50 at local True Value. The hoist is from Harbor Freight, $76 I think, and is rated at 440 lbs with single cable and 880 lbs with cable doubled. I'm not saying this is the best solution for everyone but it has sure worked out for me. Nice having a garage with a 48 foot peak in the roof, too. Next planned addition for that side of the shop is either a 4 post lift or a 2 post asymetrical, whichever I can get cheaply.

Murff

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Murff on 9/11/06 8:20am ]</font>

·
Registered
2 Posts
I needed an engine stand for my 302 rebuild. I shopped all over, and most are pretty light, regardless of 750# or 1000# ratings. I got a Checker "H" frame type stand eventually for $70. I'm always tripping over the legs on a "U" type base. NAPA does have one that is far better than most, for 5 times the price. It has a hand crank/gearbox to make rotating the engine easier.
As far as engine hoists go, I don't know.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There is a diffference, I bought one for $75.00 made in China, to install a 351 Cleveland. both the lifting arm and one of the legs bent. I went and picked up a U.S. made one for $ 150.00 the metal was much much stronger and I have had no problems with it. They were both rated the same as far as weight.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
Watch Pep Boys ads - I bought my 4K fold up engine hoist for $119 on sale. I bought my engine stand at Scotty's Auto back in 1975, so it's probably real metal LOL.

·
Registered
293 Posts
My grandfather and I went to pull his 472 out of his cadillac and the Harbor frieght engine hoist buckled. Not sure where he got this one, but its made in the usa, takes 2 healthy people to load in and out of a truck, but many engines later its still working. Same with the engine stand.
Tracy

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I bought one of those cheap china hoists. It a collapsable hoist. The castors they use are absolute crap. When I was assembling it, I dropped one of the legs, it took about a 2 foot drop-and hit right on the castor. The thing EXPLODED. Ball bearings flew everywhere. I went to the local harware store and bought 6 new USA built castors. The bolts it came with seemed wimpy to me, so I replaced them with all USA G8 stuff.

Other than that it has been a good hoist. Moved a bunch of engines with it, never another problem. But it did suck to have to replace castors on a new lift. Good castors are not cheap, I paid $18 a piece for them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
On 2006-09-14 06:31, ckelly wrote:
I bought my engine stand at Scotty's Auto back in 1975, so it's probably real metal LOL.
Scotty's in River Oaks? I forgot all about them. Super Shops put them out of business, I think. What happened to Super Shops?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Super Shops - They became a "joke". Anything other than the "house" brand, Accell crap - everything else had to be ordered. Usually took longer than ordering it yourself. Last time I went to one of them, back in the 90's...all they did was sell tires and wheels.

What happened to Super Shops? Summit and UPS is what happened to Super Shops!

·
Registered
333 Posts
On 2006-09-14 14:13, Beoweolf wrote:
Super Shops - They became a "joke". Anything other than the "house" brand, Accell crap - everything else had to be ordered. Usually took longer than ordering it yourself. Last time I went to one of them, back in the 90's...all they did was sell tires and wheels.

What happened to Super Shops? Summit and UPS is what happened to Super Shops!
Yeah, I mean't that tongue in cheek. Super Shops just ran most of the mom & pop speed shops out of business. Customer service was non-existent and the prices weren't that good. They deserved to pass into history. You're right, Summit has been around forever and has only gotten better.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
If you live in Norman, OK...then history and recollections are still way in the future for that small town! I've been to Norman...at least the sign said that I was there. I looked, real hard, but ...

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
I only live here part time.

I get parts at home in Texas. I would go nuts if I lived here year round.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
No real disrespect meant. I'm a transplanted semi-Sooner. Loved growing up there, but can only stand to visit for a few days, about every 5-6 years.

Met some really nice people in Oklahoma over the years. Oklahoma is OK!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Thats what they tell us.

That and something about the wind sweeping down the plains. They don't tell you about the grit that comes with it.

And none taken. I know what you mean. There's only so much to see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts