Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I select a pcv valve out of a catalog based on my car a 65 mustang I get a totally different valve (at least externally) than if I choose one based on my engine which is out of a 74 mavrick. The motor is also modified cam, heads, intake, carb, should this effect pcv valve selection? Is it important to consider this or do all pcv valves operate the same and the only difference is the external configuration/appearence.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've always bought the one that fit my app, not nesc. the one that is spec'd in the parts book. As far as I know they all work the same. They only differ in size and shape.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
On newer model vehicles, they are pretty much engine/model specific. Yes, they do flow/operate differently. Operate differently is an open ended statement, but kinda correct. They ALL allow crankcase pressure/fumes to enter some part of the intake. It's a matter of how much they're allowed to flow that's adjusted/regulated. You can ADD strange driveability problems/concerns on newer vehicles by putting the wrong pcv valve on it.
Older vehicles are pretty much close to the same. Older v8 (ford v8's), had a stock size, then an high flow version. EV97 was the basic one.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
OPPS, I should have clairified about which vehicle I was talking about. I was refering to my "old" ford. HA HA. You are right tho, you almost have to buy the specific one on a newer vehicle. It almost seems that every new model has it's own specific parts that only fits its model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts