Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 mustang with 302 69 heads that I ported myself.I seem to get mixed reviews when asking about installing 1.90 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves.Some say the ports are the real restrictions and the bigger valves aren't worth the money.Engine has basic hop-ups wiend x-llerator intake 650 holley dp comp cams magnum 292(518L [email protected]) headmen headers roller tip rockers and flat top pistons.Car works Ok but I'd like to go faster without breaking the bank(aluminium heads)or installing and building bigger motor. Any suggestions? car has run a best of 13.69 at100.94

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm currently do this same thing to some 95 E7Te heads. This website has an article on porting your own heads and recommends bigger valves cause the small valves cant handle the flow and conk out around 5500rpm. The suggest using stock chevy valves and they are very affordable. I've priced them through P.A.W., which is Performance Automotive Warehouse, and It would be $80 for 1.94 and 1.60. If you want to go with 2.02 and 1.60 then its around 115 dollars. You can only read the full article if you are a subscriber. So I subscribed and got all the answers I needed. So yes, definitely get bigger valves. You should get around 40 plus horsepower as long as the heads are ported correctly. The valves are Manley O.E.M. valves for chevy. Make sure you get the right stem diameter though. Chevy has two. Mine are the 11/32, so double check what you need.

85 mustang gt.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoa thats a blast from the past.Thanks for the info though.I may get around to doing it this winter.Have you priced the ford length valves from Ford or whoever?I am wondering if the cheaper chevy valves are still cheaper in the long run because they are slightly shorter and you will need new pushrods.(at least thats what I have read)

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Most people don't realize you need to un-shroud the enlarged valve area so it has a better chance of getting air in or out. This makes a huge difference!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Mavman,

I had mine unshrouded when the valves where cut-in by the machine shop. I have pictures I can email you if you want (not sure how to post them).

·
Registered
27 Posts
frdnut, It would still be cheaper in the long run to go with chevy valves, stock replacement pushrods from PAW are 20.00, and are specifically for 289 and 302 heads with chevy valves. You can get chrome moly pushrods for 55.00 bucks. So now you're looking at 100.00 bucks to 180.00 depending on if you go with 1.94, or 2.02 valves.
I got lucky, ebay is an awesome sight. I just got my 2.02 and 1.60 valves for 58.00 bucks with shipping. Check on ebay. I've gotten alot of awesome deals.

85 mustang gt.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
There is a guy on e-bay that sells the stock length ford valves in 1.90 and 1.60 I think there are around 100.00. I have got two sets from him with no problems. They have a slight under-cut and are SS. His e-mail address is [email protected]

Good Luck

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are these pushrods hardened?I was just worried about having to get custom length ones which are over $200 bucks.Also I don't think you can fit 2.02 valves in a stock ford head with the big spark plug holes,at least not according to Joe Shermans famous 400 hp 302 buildup.Thanks for the tip 393Clevor I would prefer the stock length valves and 1.90 and 1.60 is the size I wanted.Keep up the good work guys I'm soaking this all up

·
Registered
27 Posts
As far as I knew, the 2.02 would fit. But if anyone else has heard anything like you have, let me know. Thats the first I heard that they wouldnt fit. I hope they will considering I already bought them.

85 mustang gt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts