Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now if i were going to go for the granada swap say from ebay would it be worth it could I fit some brembo or willwood calipers or gass slotted rotors or would I have to use the stock rotor and caliper.Would it come with the spacers i've seen to replace the the backplate of the drum housing?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Aren't the Wilwood rotors a little lightweight for daily transportation use? I went to their site a few times in the past, looking, lingering and lusting for their superb product, had dreams of being like Greg
! They seem to (my understanding only) recommend against using them on street cars?

That's why I changed my focus to something a little more "robusto", been watching too many cooking show lately. Did I get it right or is my cheapness kicking in..again
?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 7/10/03 11:25pm ]</font>

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya thats what i heard too i just dont under stand why we cant use them on the street i mean brakes are and they are for stopping the car nothing else i mean why couldnt i bolt on some disc from the newer mustangs?

·
Registered
284 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the Granada swap for a normal daily driver type Mustang. As a matter of fact, i know a guy that open tracks with ducted Granada brakes quite successfully.

You really have three players in the vintage Ford brake market Baer, SSBC, and Wilwood. All produce fine brake kits. The Wilwood kits moves the front wheels out aprox 1/2" per side, so if you have some fancy rims take that into consideration. Things to consider are pad and rotor replacement costs and availability.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the SSBC kit on my 69 stang and I must say, it's a pretty nice kit for the money. I had factory drum front brakes and didn't want to bother swapping spindals so I just got there kit that worked with them. It's really nice, 4 piston calipers and everything. Overall, I think it was worth the extra bucks as compared to a Granda swap. Just my .02

Dave

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I too have the SSB front disc conversion on my 65, it is a good kit all fit like it should but IMO it does not have the brakeing power I thought it should have for what I paid for it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have the SSBC kit, the one that came with the 2 piston PBR calipers. As delivered i was not happy with the brakeing performance, it required alot of pedal pressure. I switched out the pads with PFC "Z" pads and the pedal effort is much better. I run Hawk black and ducting on the track, it stops very hard for only a 11" disk. I'm pretty happy with it. Here's a pic of the setup, the hose is now installed to the front valance.. http://www.289mustang.com/images/brakeduct.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts