Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I need a new muffler for my 61 with the 352 2bbl/3 speed. I have only driven it a couple hundred miles but i feel that it has power and need something to bring it out. Is this motor, as is, enough to make a dual exhaust sound good? Are there any performance advantages to dual exhaust?
2. I have a 67 GTO[400/335 hp] and found a 67 Grandprix engine[400/270 hp]. The Grandprix motor is exactally the same except for the 4 bbl. Same 10 3/4 pistons, crank, 670 big valve heads, but it's a 2 bbl. My question is, what would a small 4 bbl do for a 352motor? Is it too much gas? Would I need to change cam and heads to get anything? Would it give any more HP, or would it simply flood the motor?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Dual exhaust would help tremendously. A 4 bbl would also make a huge improvent, not only would the carb be better so would the manifold. No it would not flood the engine. A carb feeds fuel as demand increases.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I'll give you my take on it. Anything you do to provide less exhaust restriction on an FE engine the better. Dual Exhaust will sound good with the right mufflers and aid HP gain. Adding a vacuum operated 4 barrel on a 352 FE will be a HP improvement. Just stay under 600 cfm. 570 Street Avenger is great Carb. You'll get better gas mileage than you will on the two barrel betcha. I tried putting a 500 cfm 2 barrel on a low HP FE and I couldn't pass a gas station. The cam in your 352 2bl engine won't be much smaller than the 390 cam with a 4 barrel. If fact it'll probably be the same. I use a 360 truck cam in my 390 w/9.5 pistons. It is a better cam than the old 390 4 barrel cam. I go through the quarter mile in 15.2 sec shifting at 4000 rpm on street tires pushing a 4000 lb car and still get over 20 mpg @60 mph. Go for it. Jim

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
my 352 had a 4100 carb and dual exhaust with H-pipe and glass packs. I have been told several times that when I pull away the sound is awesome.

As for the 4V carb, I guess it is okay. If you were getting an aluminum intake anyway it would be worth getting one but otherwise... Galaxies are so heavy and takes so long to get up to an rpm that can suck the extra fuel... For me, it does not seem like a critical element. I think it was not critical for Ford, either. My carburetor build tag book lists the Galaxie FEs all with 4V in 1965, but each year after they started switching more over to 2Vs. By 1969 all the 390's have 2V.

If you want more top end you could try a hotter cam and a 4V; if you want more bottom end maybe a 3.5 rear end would be a better plan than a new carburetor.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. It just feels like it has more to offer and the stock exhaust sounds blah! There is an aluminum coated dual exhaust on Ebay for $269[I believe]. Anyone tried one of these? Do they install fairly easily?
2. My issues with this carb. Recently bought this car with large primer spot on hood. Guy says there was a carb fire. It smells of gas when it sits. Seems to run OK but uneven idle. Took it out yesterday for a fairly long drive. Less than 100 miles and used around 10 gallons. I've looked into rebuild kits but can't seem to find any. Later year stuff is available but really can't find much in 2bbl or 4bbl intakes or carbs for a 1961 352. What are my options. Performance is not as important as just a good carb. I get around 15 MPG in my GTO 335 HP/auto and around 21 in my 1960 Ply. wagon with 318/2 spd auto. What can I expect with a stock 2bbl/3 spd.? 10 or less MPG doesn't work for me? Exchange book only lists a few years for intakes and carbs for 61 352. What can I do?
Thanks again for all your time and any help,
Karl.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I bought a set of pipes with "turbo mufflers for what ever that is worth" from an EBay seller for around that price range. I paid a little more and had it increased from 2" to 2 1/4", I asked about going to 2 1/2" but he didn't think it would fit through the X member as I have a 61 convertible. It fit well but I recommend having a lift to install because it is kind of squirrelly wrestling it all around. I wish I could have gotten a set of the Pop's headers before he folded. The exhaust has kind of a gurgle idling around and a little rumble when you lean on it which is fine with me as I didn't want alot of noise or drone but didn't want it whisper quiet either. I get a whopping 12 miles to the gallon around town and 13 on the highway with a 2 bbl 352 and cruiso. I have a stock cast iron 4 bbl manifold I could install but from what I've read don't know if it is worth it. I've put about 10,000 "smiles" on it in a year and a half and I'm about ready to try some of these guys tweaks to get a little better mileage, I would kill for 18 mpg highway.
Mike

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Puttster, a 3.50 wouldn't increase gas mileage but he would leave from a dead stop quicker or at least that's my own personal experience. Unless he has overdrive or something it will cut the mileage even lower.

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
I get 9 mpg and gas smell. My solution this summer if I can find $2,000 will be a Professional Products Projection III EFI.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A dual exhaust will help, but it isnt the biggest restriction on the 352. The stock log exhaust manifolds are terrible for flow. If you want a noticeable improvement, you could consider headers. Adjusting the exhaust to flow more will make you need adjustments elsewhere; the motor will need more fuel mix from the carb to adjust for the larger airflow, upgrading the the 4bbl will address that. To take advantage of it though, consider a larger duration camshaft. FE motors are weak on the exhaust side, the valves are small and the manifolds are crummy. You could just consider the dual exhaust, 4bbl carb and a dual pattern cam to optimize the available airflow from the exhaust.

As far as sound goes, FEs are strange. On a full sized car, a 289 can give you a meaner sound. I have a full 2.5 inch dual exhaust, 427 headers with 280 duration cam using two single stage Spintech mufflers on a 428 and it just isnt that loud. Neither are Flowmaster 40s. It all depends on how loud you want it to be.

Tom

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Puttster, a 3.50 wouldn't increase gas mileage but he would leave from a dead stop quicker .
Deb, losing 10% mpg would hurt if you were driving a 50 mpg Prius. But when yer only getting 9 mpg anyways, 10% aint all that much!!

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Don't be afraid to increase the HP in the engine. My experiences with the FE engine, horse power doesn't have that much to do with gas mileage. Any bigger engine will get better gas mileage than a smaller engine at higher cruising speeds. You will be within the power band of an FE engine starting at 1700 rpm ( you stomp the gas and it continually gains power without hesitation ). If you can cruise between 1700 - 1900 rpm, you're going to get 20mpg with an FE engine. The only feasible way to get drag racing qualities as well as good gas mileage at turnpike speeds is with an overdrive transmission. Otherwise you give up low end performance with a high ratio rear end or gas mileage with a low ratio rear end. I'd think fuel delivery would be of little consequence as far as gas mileage goes. You could sit on the motor and put fuel down the intake with an eye dropper and it wouldn't help if you were cruising at 2400 rpm to do 60mph. The only way to beat gas prices is to not use so much of it. Fuel consumption is directly porportional to % power used. Jim PS I used to have a new 1974 Ford Pickup with 302 2V that got 13mpg at 60-65mph. My buddy had a 1975 Extended cab pickup with a 460 4V engine that got 17 mpg at 60-65 mph. My 650 Honda motorcycle got 35mpg and my 1300 Kawasaki got 42 mpg. Guess which one was more fun.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Yes

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Great thread. I'm just putting a 2 1/2" dual exhaust system on my 67 Galaxie with a 390-2V. It had a 2 into 1 - 2" system until now, so I'm expecting some difference. I have a 390-4V and headers waitng to be rebuilt and installed next.

SUMMIT has a great deal on both items. The exhuast set was about $250 and the headers $150.

It's all in my blog: www.E-tekRestorations.blogspot.com

·
Administrator
21,668 Posts
Deb, losing 10% mpg would hurt if you were driving a 50 mpg Prius. But when yer only getting 9 mpg anyways, 10% aint all that much!!
You meant "Wouldn't" hurt, correct? And you're right it wouldn't. Losing 33% not good in our land yachts. Might not be quite as bad town driving though.
If only we could get 50 mpg out of them!

I haven't gotten that 20 mpg out of mine but i don't have anything but an RV cam and over bore. I got 9 with the 3.50 rear on the highway, i get around 15 now, might get more if i could keep it under 60 maybe. But i changed rearends. But nothing wrong with more hp for sure. If i had overdrive when i had the 3.50 it wouldn't of been an issue for sure. I needed one more gear on the freeway.

In the '74 4x4 with headers and 2v carb with bro inlaw's driving it got 6 mpg so i've been ahead ever since i put the engine in the car with 4v and regardless of rearend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts