Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is a question that I wanted to pose to see if anyone has a back story on these type of brakes. I am using the factory disc brakes off a 1968 LTD parts car for a ground up build of a 1966 galaxie 500 XL. I was always under the assumption that the one year only brakes of 1968 were purely a weirdo Ford thing.

But upon cleaning and getting ready to powder coat the hubs I found this cast into the hubs.

KHBrakes_3.jpg

It definitely looks like the font for Kelsey Hayes company.

KHBrakes_1.jpg

This is the complete old crusty brake that probably hasn't worked in decades.

KHBrakes_2.jpg

They are being refurbished to go on this.

I just thought if anyone knew the history of these one year only brakes it would be interesting to read. Fortunately I can find all the parts I need to resurrect and use these factory disc brakes on this car.

Cheers

·
Registered
118 Posts
XL,

That does look like Kelsey-Hayes. I don’t know a lot about those but I seem to remember they were used for more than just one year. Into the early ‘70s?

Unrelated but I had K-H brakes (w/four piston calipers) that came stock on my first car, a 1968 Valiant. Out of 8 pistons, 3 or 4 of them were stuck when I got the car. Back then you could still buy the pistons and rebuild them yourself.

Nice work on that frame and suspension. Looking good!

- John

·
Subscriber
523 Posts
i thought the KH 4-piston setup was a '66-only thing. I have a friend with a '66 7-Litre that is still running them.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XL,

That does look like Kelsey-Hayes. I don’t know a lot about those but I seem to remember they were used for more than just one year. Into the early ‘70s?

Unrelated but I had K-H brakes (w/four piston calipers) that came stock on my first car, a 1968 Valiant. Out of 8 pistons, 3 or 4 of them were stuck when I got the car. Back then you could still buy the pistons and rebuild them yourself.

Nice work on that frame and suspension. Looking good!

- John
Thank you gearheadct for the kind words on the frame. This car is for the wife, she wants an nice reliable '66 galaxie 500 XL or a 7 litre that she can use as her daily driver. The only way that's going to happen is a ground up rebuild of one.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought the KH 4-piston setup was a '66-only thing. I have a friend with a '66 7-Litre that is still running them.
Hello cuthrell,

I thought Kelsey Hayes were the 4 piston caliper design as well. That's why I was a little perplexed on this one. Unless Ford used the Kelsey Hayes hub and rotor for '68 and then used their single piston caliper. Then again it's just a postulation.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts