Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is a question that I wanted to pose to see if anyone has a back story on these type of brakes. I am using the factory disc brakes off a 1968 LTD parts car for a ground up build of a 1966 galaxie 500 XL. I was always under the assumption that the one year only brakes of 1968 were purely a weirdo Ford thing.

But upon cleaning and getting ready to powder coat the hubs I found this cast into the hubs.

KHBrakes_3.jpg

It definitely looks like the font for Kelsey Hayes company.

KHBrakes_1.jpg

This is the complete old crusty brake that probably hasn't worked in decades.

KHBrakes_2.jpg

They are being refurbished to go on this.

I just thought if anyone knew the history of these one year only brakes it would be interesting to read. Fortunately I can find all the parts I need to resurrect and use these factory disc brakes on this car.

Cheers

·
Registered
187 Posts
XL,

That does look like Kelsey-Hayes. I don’t know a lot about those but I seem to remember they were used for more than just one year. Into the early ‘70s?

Unrelated but I had K-H brakes (w/four piston calipers) that came stock on my first car, a 1968 Valiant. Out of 8 pistons, 3 or 4 of them were stuck when I got the car. Back then you could still buy the pistons and rebuild them yourself.

Nice work on that frame and suspension. Looking good!

- John

·
Subscriber
733 Posts
i thought the KH 4-piston setup was a '66-only thing. I have a friend with a '66 7-Litre that is still running them.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
XL,

That does look like Kelsey-Hayes. I don’t know a lot about those but I seem to remember they were used for more than just one year. Into the early ‘70s?

Unrelated but I had K-H brakes (w/four piston calipers) that came stock on my first car, a 1968 Valiant. Out of 8 pistons, 3 or 4 of them were stuck when I got the car. Back then you could still buy the pistons and rebuild them yourself.

Nice work on that frame and suspension. Looking good!

- John
Thank you gearheadct for the kind words on the frame. This car is for the wife, she wants an nice reliable '66 galaxie 500 XL or a 7 litre that she can use as her daily driver. The only way that's going to happen is a ground up rebuild of one.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i thought the KH 4-piston setup was a '66-only thing. I have a friend with a '66 7-Litre that is still running them.
Hello cuthrell,

I thought Kelsey Hayes were the 4 piston caliper design as well. That's why I was a little perplexed on this one. Unless Ford used the Kelsey Hayes hub and rotor for '68 and then used their single piston caliper. Then again it's just a postulation.

Cheers

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thank you gearheadct for the kind words on the frame. This car is for the wife, she wants an nice reliable '66 galaxie 500 XL or a 7 litre that she can use as her daily driver. The only way that's going to happen is a ground up rebuild of one.

Cheers
That will be an awesome daily driver for sure! I hope you post up more photos as you make progress.

For a little more mystery I did some research on the '68 calipers and I found a photo of one with the Ford script logo cast into it. So MAYBE it is a combination of K-H hub/rotor and Ford parts. Of course it's possible that Ford had K-H manufacture the calipers with the Ford script. I imagine Ford had enough volume to make that happen. Also, NAPA materials show the same caliper used from '68-'72.

- John

·
Registered
33 Posts

My 68 hub has the same markings.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That will be an awesome daily driver for sure! I hope you post up more photos as you make progress.

For a little more mystery I did some research on the '68 calipers and I found a photo of one with the Ford script logo cast into it. So MAYBE it is a combination of K-H hub/rotor and Ford parts. Of course it's possible that Ford had K-H manufacture the calipers with the Ford script. I imagine Ford had enough volume to make that happen. Also, NAPA materials show the same caliper used from '68-'72.

- John
Hello gearheadct,

Would you like to see a separate thread on this build? I'll be happy to do so. The reason I ask is this will be a near carbon copy of a similar build I am currently working on as well. That is a 1966 LTD, which is on here somewhere. The only real differences especially on the chassis side are the brakes and the over all fact this car build is using parts from 4 different beat up and other wise parts cars to make a galaxie 500 XL.

As for the '68 brakes, I am starting to get the feeling you may be right in that it's a mishmash of Ford and Kelsey Hayes.

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts