Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got back from vacation last week and my usually fast Gateway computer now moves like a snail. I have broadband internet and it now takes longer to get on line than with my old phone modem. Then w/o warning, my virus scan goes into "shutdown mode" and it won't recognize my password to go into it and reactivate it. My cable modem light is flashing like a christmas tree even when I'm not on line. Apparently I have like "0" extended memory. Guess I'll be off-line after tomorrow afternoon while I take the old computer in for a good "roto-rooter-ing". Friggin' hackers. They're probably ricers, too.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A friend of mine had the same exact problem with his gateway. Ended up replacing every thing in the case. Even the power supply. Iv got this piece of sh*t that I built my self and never had a problem with it.

·
Programmer
856 Posts
Hackers can't do much to a computer that is on the internet all the time so long as its all patched up from microsoft.com's update site. Typically bad things happen via email... Its best to get ZoneAlarm to keep the hackers out (free program from zonealarm.com), and then get mcafee or norton antivirus and keep it updated!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I work for a security company that sells hardware appliances that help companies tighten their security, specifically in the intrusion detection area. As part of a recent test, several Windows 2000 and XP servers were built and placed on the 'Net. These machines were put there with none of the Microsoft security patches applied. That was done on purpose because this was a test of intrusion detection products. It only took TEN MINUTES for these machines to be located by the hackers! These hackers have programs running 24x7, just looking for machines that are not protected. If you're not running ZoneAlarm or BlackIce in combination with a good anti-virus program, it's just like parking your prized possession downtown, unlocked, windows down and keys in the ignition.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Worst case, Format C: erasing everything on the C partition of your hardrive or Fdisk your hard drive (erasing all partitions) and create a new partition.

Back up all improtant information first.

After the format or fdisk the reload windows and be happy once again as long as the hard drive is still good.

if you need any help with computers just hit me up at

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

1968 289 coupe, 65B, my car.
1968 302 coupe, 65A, my dads car.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HitmanKB on 7/3/02 1:02am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have Norton Internet Security including firewall and virus scan and the unit stays off until it's used. Today, lo and behold, the virus scan is activated again!?!?!? I appreciate the help, guys. Tell ya the truth, this stuff is so much smoke and mirrors to me. Give me a set of sockets, a screwdriver and a torque wrench and I'm home free, but this 'puter stuff intimidates the hades out of me. I'm willing to learn, just feel dumber than a box of rocks. And Walt, I tried the "oil change", it didn't work either!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Im a total computer nerd... Have you figured out what virus it is? What operating system are you running? windows ME has a feature that reloads some stuff every time you start, I've known virii to hide themselves in it. I doubt it was a hacker, its possible, but unlikely, it was probably some e-mail or something, As far as hackers go- Best bet is a hardware firewall, software only goes so far, I've got a linksys router hooked up, provides one way transit, only out, nobody can come in, really secure and my cable is shared among 4 computers. If you know what virus it is, tell me and Ill see what I can do.

-Dave

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BuiltFordTough on 7/4/02 9:59am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dave, thanks, but have absolutley no idea. Norton didn't pick it up if it's a virus. I downloaded a new firewall from zone alarm since my Norton has been "de-activated". Computer is a little more responsive now, but weird things still happen from time to time. For instance, my banner is showing up in other people's posts. That's happened twice. When I refresh the page, it corrects itself. I'll run another scan this morning and see if anything shows up. Little hacker puke's always gotta mess up everybody else's fun.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Almost sounds like you may be infected with the Klez virus or something similar. Some of the newer viruses are smart enough to be able to locate and then delete the executables of the common anti-virus programs. Once that happens, you're completely unprotected. Go to the URL below, download the KlezTool utility and see what it tells you. In any case, your probably smart if you un-install and then re-install Norton. Make very sure that you keep up to date on the virus definitions. Most AV vendors post new defs on a daily or weekly basis.

http://www.europe.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

·
Registered
862 Posts
Many hacks are due to holes in the operating system, or "security vulnerabilities" as Microsoft calls them and not just rampant emails. An antivirus program and firewall will not always prevent the infiltration of virus' on your system. You must also "patch" the holes that allow the virus' to get through as well. This can only be done via the "Windows Update" feature through the Windows menu, or Internet Explorer (AND IT's FREE). Using IE, click on Tools, then select Windows Update. The system will search and provide a list of required files to fix these holes from the Microsoft web site. You then download and install them. Also keep in mind that Norton and McAfee provide "free" weekly updates of their virus "signature" files, required to keep your antivirus program up-to-date and functioning properly.
Hope this helps anyone in this situation!

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys appreciate all the help. I perform all the mentioned updates like clockwork. Just to be sure, I downloaded the Klez cleaning tool and it wouldn't open. I got an "insufficient memory" message. Guess I'm screwed. Hey "hitman", wanna walk me through the partition "thingymabob" you mentioned earlier? I'm about afraid to e-mail anybody cause I don't want to pass whatever this is on to anyone else...

I figure the worst I can do is make it inoperable altogether and have to get a new computer...
What am I saying....!!!??

·
Registered
567 Posts
i just got BOMBED with Klez, dropped off a little number called ElKern.. Kernel switched around, had to format twice <I have backup network drives it infected itself to which didnt occur to me until later> NASTY little bug, get the remover from Http://www.symantec.com its in there somewhere, just search. I bet its spreading like mad around this forum, Since a lot of us are in each others address books. Good luck everyone! I wish you the opposite fate of myself

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Yup, ElKern's a nasty little bugger. My daughter's boyfriend is a fan of those site where you can download music files. What many people don't know is that these sites are some of the biggest spreaders of virus on the 'net. She brought her PC over 2 days ago and I'm still re-building it. W2K kernel was toast and I stopped counting after the Kleztool hit 250 infected files. She had AV protection with the latest updates, but this puppy just went right around it.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ran Klez tool from Symantec and none found, but have since discovered 3 different infections from where my step-daughter and fxjr have been using Yahoo for their "chats". Yahoo has been deleted from my computer (as have the virus'!) and instructions have been posted that under penalty of death there will be NO YAHOO on this computer. I think they got the message...

·
Registered
58 Posts
fxcomet
you might try running a web based virus scan on your computer. it will take 30minutes to an hour, and I think it will help and will clean any funny business. The one I like to use is PCCillin
http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

just go there, select your C driver and have it run and also repair. If you have a virus, it should find it.

Being hacked and having a virus are two different things. You might of been hacked and then virus software will do very little to fix your problem. With Zone Alarm, if a hacker got on your server and was now using it as a free FTP site for the star wars movie, Zone Alarm would send you a warning signal if anything tried to come in from the net or go out to the net. And by saying no, you prevent the hacker and his friends from getting a free ride.

OS's can go bad as well. After loading hundreds of programs, they get more and more sluggish. I fould that I needed to reinstall 98 about once a year to keep it fresh. 2000 and XP are more stable. If you are on 98 or ME, here is a little trick that helps speed up a computer getting cement shoes. First do a find for the program called MSCONFIG.EXE (this was not included in 2000 or XP for unknown reasons). Run it and then click the STARTUP tab. In there is all the crap that runs every time you start your computer. Most of it is "crap". I think there are only 2 things that have to be on ..the tray and one other thing. If you see stuff like Real and video cards and Office and Monster Sound and Quicktime etc...turn it off. This is all crud that is sucking up system resources. Restart and see if your computer feels better. if you can't restart...go into safe mode and restart and turn some things back on.

If you are on 2000 or XP and want to see if anything is running that you don't know about...do a search for taskmgr.exe and run it and look around at the applications mainly and see if they are all yours. you might also check processes and sort by CPU useage and see if it looks ok.

hope this helps

Andy
http://www.cobralads.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: twiddler on 7/6/02 11:11am ]</font>

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.