Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Dennis, that is Kanawaha Valley Dragway. It's halfway between Point Pleasant and Winfield, WV. on Rt. 35. About 1 hr 15 min from where I live. 1/8 mile track.

And... Those are not powershifts. The nitrous is hooked up to a throttle switch, so if I left the gas matted, it would definitely be banging off the limiter HARD between gears. Those are just well refined "granny" shifts. ;)

Many people try to push the clutch and shift the gear at the same time, but you need to lead with your foot just a bit. It doesn't hurt to just sit in the car with the engine off and practice. Just take steps to not completely flood the engine. :) Of course, driving (and beating on) the car on a regular basis also helps. :D

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Man its going to be a long winter! :D Awesome job Mike..You need another camera man(or woman) in the stands so we can get an outside view as well..I love that inside camera though..Very cool.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Nice. Gotta love the HS drags. Hey, if you add a clutch switch in series with the throttle switch, you can keep your foot flat for power-shifting (flat-shifting) as the spray is off with either clutch or sub-WOT. So it even works with a launch limiter. Spray goes off when you hit the clutch and rev limiter works as-normal. Flip the spray arming switch before burnout and leave it alone. :tup: It takes the coordination factor out and improves consistency in most cases.
It doesn't hurt to just sit in the car with the engine off and practice. Just take steps to not completely flood the engine. :) Of course, driving (and beating on) the car on a regular basis also helps. :D
Indeed I do power-shifting practice in any manual car I'm driving on the way to the grocery, as you don't have to have it floored to practice. The biggest habit to break is lifting. If you can drive normally to the store and power-shift while holding fixed light throttle, you can do it WOT. It feels like easy-driving an auto trans with a shift-kit. Fun stuff and good practice.

David

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. Gotta love the HS drags. Hey, if you add a clutch switch in series with the throttle switch, you can keep your foot flat for power-shifting (flat-shifting) as the spray is off with either clutch or sub-WOT.
It shifts fast enough the way it is, and the way I'm doing it has been fairly easy on the transmission. The last transmission lasted through 7-8 years of beatings before I finally felt guilty and swapped it out for another one that I had sitting there, waiting for it to fail. Upon disassembly, the syncro teeth were well worn inside, but it still worked just fine.

They are small in/out transmissions, so I'm not going to do anything the jinx myself. lol

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Looks like a lot of fun. I've only run a stick shift on the drag strip a handful of times, and each in a slower high 10/low 11 sec car but it was a TON of fun. My normal car has been 5.70's in the 1/8 but it's automatic 2 speed...and honestly not quite as much fun as rowing a 4 or 5 speed. But I must admit the last two races in the Maverick have been lots of fun since I adjusted the 4 link and the shocks. 4 rounds yesterday but no money....2 (or was it 3?) weeks ago went to the finals & lost on a breakout (index).

One of these days I want to put a camera IN the car. What kind of camera did you use?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One of these days I want to put a camera IN the car. What kind of camera did you use?
It's a Go-Pro. I bought the motorsports kit, which includes a suction cup window mount. I also bought a roll bar mount... which is what I used to record these, and the "horsepower therapy" vids. It's mounted on the main hoop, right at the top of the passenger side door.

I've got it set up to where you just push the button on the front to turn it on... and start recording automatically. Hold it in when you're done, and it will beep seven times, then turn off.

It will do 1080P video, but I just use the default of 1280x960 maybe? ...as it has more vertical range. There are several modes you can shoot in.

The aren't cheap, but I also got it for when the kids and I ride dirt bikes. They have helmet mounts, handlebar mounts, etc.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
**** yeah!!!!

That's what I'm talking about. I've been wanting to see that for a long time. Thanks for posting.

How far along are you on your Dart block build?
I've acquired all the parts for the long block except the valvetrain. Block is bored, everything is balanced. Just need the cam, lifters, pushrods, rockers, and timing chain.

Of course, I should probably mini-tub the car and upgrade the rear before getting too far along. :)

Thanks, Cain!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
It's a Go-Pro. I bought the motorsports kit, which includes a suction cup window mount. I also bought a roll bar mount... which is what I used to record these, and the "horsepower therapy" vids. It's mounted on the main hoop, right at the top of the passenger side door.

I've got it set up to where you just push the button on the front to turn it on... and start recording automatically. Hold it in when you're done, and it will beep seven times, then turn off.

It will do 1080P video, but I just use the default of 1280x960 maybe? ...as it has more vertical range. There are several modes you can shoot in.

The aren't cheap, but I also got it for when the kids and I ride dirt bikes. They have helmet mounts, handlebar mounts, etc.

Good Luck!
Thanks! Going to look into this. I've used some vid cam stuff before and it has been a valuable tuning aid. Would love to get some good vids both inside and outside....especially now that I have the 4 link set up just about the way I like it.
EDIT: Going to have to edit my sig. The Fairmont bit the dust. Going to pull the drivetrain stuff, electronics and some of the interior and the rest is scrap. The rear bumper is ok (aluminum). Anyone need anything let me know and I'll see if it's any good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ow this looks like a lot of jokes. I have going to run a stick shift on the drag strip a handful of times,and each in a slower high 15/low 14 sec car but it was a TON of fun. My normal car has been 5.70's in the 1/8 but it's automatic 2 speed... And honestly not quite as much fun as rowing a 4 or 5 speed.travel But I must admit the last two races in the Maverick have been lots of fun since I adjusted the 4 link and the shocks. 6 rounds yesterday but no money.... 2 (or was it 4?) weeks ago went to the finals & lost on a breakout (index).

One of these days I want to put a camera IN the car. What kind of camera did you use? Please confirm me that what will I do now?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One of these days I want to put a camera IN the car. What kind of camera did you use? Please confirm me that what will I do now?
It's a Go-Pro. See post 12 in this thread for more details on it!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I am probably going to be the fun police here, First off good run, looked straight and true. With that said I see 3 things that disturb me,,,,,,,, 1, right at the start of the video, your shoulder harness is loose enough to slip it on and off. This scares the hell out of me, if you were in a crash you would fall right out of that thing. 2, a moto cross helmet????? Really? You couldnt afford a snell rated helmet for auto racing after spending money on everything else? and 3, Nitrous, and no fire safety, I.E, suit, gloves, shoes, NECK BRACE? Safety should NEVER take a back seat to ANYTHING! If your severely banged up or dead, who pays the bills? Im sorry I point this out but its one of my pet peeves, hell, people DIE on the highway at 55 MPH let alone 106 with someone right beside you. Please people be safe, there are many people in your family that I am sure that count on you being alive for a few more years at least!!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts