Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I am probably going to be the fun police here, First off good run, looked straight and true. With that said I see 3 things that disturb me,,,,,,,, 1, right at the start of the video, your shoulder harness is loose enough to slip it on and off. This scares the hell out of me, if you were in a crash you would fall right out of that thing. 2, a moto cross helmet????? Really? You couldnt afford a snell rated helmet for auto racing after spending money on everything else? and 3, Nitrous, and no fire safety, I.E, suit, gloves, shoes, NECK BRACE? Safety should NEVER take a back seat to ANYTHING! If your severely banged up or dead, who pays the bills? Im sorry I point this out but its one of my pet peeves, hell, people DIE on the highway at 55 MPH let alone 106 with someone right beside you. Please people be safe, there are many people in your family that I am sure that count on you being alive for a few more years at least!!!!
I've got to be able to move in order to drive the thing.
The Motocross helmet is made from Carbon Fiber, and is indeed SNELL approved.
Fire suits, gloves, neck braces, etc aren't required at my speed level. That stuff comes more into play when you reach the 9's. My best is 10.15.
106 isn't anything... It goes almost 134 in the 1/4! And with the old 289 headed engine and different gearing, would go 160 n/a on a long open road! (I don't top end it, anymore, and that was when it had roadrace suspension) :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I've got to be able to move in order to drive the thing.
The Motocross helmet is made from Carbon Fiber, and is indeed SNELL approved.
Fire suits, gloves, neck braces, etc aren't required at my speed level. That stuff comes more into play when you reach the 9's. My best is 10.15.
106 isn't anything... It goes almost 134 in the 1/4! And with the old 289 headed engine and different gearing, would go 160 n/a on a long open road! (I don't top end it, anymore, and that was when it had roadrace suspension) :)

Your lack of safety practices is wrong and irresponsible, you've been called on this before. If you can't shift with the belts on, move your seat and adjust things so that you can drive your car with the belts tight (everyone else seems to be able to do it). If not, they serve no purpose. Protecting you in a crash is not their only purpose, they also serve to hold you in place so that you can maintain or more easily regain control in case things get squirrely, car gets out of shape........may not only save your car/life, but also the guy in the other lane and his car. The rules clearly state, if you run quicker than 11.49 1/4 or 7.35 1/8 mile, you need an SFI rated jacket 3.2A/1 and it's mandatory.

NHRA E.T. Quick Reference Chart

10.00 (*6.40) to 11.49 (*7.35); all E.T. naturally
aspirated, OEM
supercharged, or OEM turbocharged with a full OEM
or .024-
inch steel firewall:
Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Your lack of safety practices is wrong and irresponsible, you've been called on this before. If you can't shift with the belts on, move your seat and adjust things so that you can drive your car with the belts tight (everyone else seems to be able to do it). If not, they serve no purpose. Protecting you in a crash is not their only purpose, they also serve to hold you in place so that you can maintain or more easily regain control in case things get squirrely, car gets out of shape........may not only save your car/life, but also the guy in the other lane and his car. The rules clearly state, if you run quicker than 11.49 1/4 or 7.35 1/8 mile, you need an SFI rated jacket 3.2A/1 and it's mandatory.

NHRA E.T. Quick Reference Chart

10.00 (*6.40) to 11.49 (*7.35); all E.T. naturally
aspirated, OEM
supercharged, or OEM turbocharged with a full OEM
or .024-
inch steel firewall:
Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/1 mandatory
Holy safety police, Batman! :)

I've been racing the car since 1991, in the 10's later in the 1990's, have raced at several different tracks, and have only been asked about a jacket one time, but they let me race, anyway. I bought one... wasn't much to it... just a single layer of what feels like cotton and no liner... and nobody said anything to me since. But, why are you getting all out of sorts over a simple jacket? You just enjoy being a wet blanket or something? Lighten up a little! :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ha are you guys serious? If it was required he wouldn't be allowed to race without it...I cant believe that's all you got out of the video, something to gripe about.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If it was required he wouldn't be allowed to race
yeah, and people don't break the speed limit, cheat on their taxes, etc, etc, etc......because it's against the law! Just because he got away with it, doesn't make it okay. I'm all for drag racing and having fun, but wake up and look around, tracks are closing up all over the place, and anytime someone gets hurt it gives racing a black eye, makes them harder and harder to insure and keep their doors open. What about the common sense factor, is the risk (particularly the loose belts) worth it, when it's so easy to avoid? Nobody goes out and says, "I'm pretty sure a tire"s going to blow, motors going to grenade and put oil under the tires, guy in the other lane is going to swerve into my lane, etc..., so I better have on my safety equipment this time out". That stuff happens in a millisecond, and without warning, you never know if and when it may happen, maybe never, maybe the next time out. That's reality.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Some more stuff to be critiqued by the Safety Police. :)

1966 Mustang 1.41 60ft Drag Racing - YouTube (header tube broke off at the head, so it sounds like it's going to blow up) lol run starts at 0:30

Horsepower Therapy - YouTube (that was my buddy waiting to turn into the road) :)

Horsepower Therapy #2 - YouTube (Dukes of Hazard Bootlegger turn!)

Horsepower Therapy #3 - YouTube (Just banging a gear)

Jon Shooting an AR-15 - YouTube (my son having fun)

Chickens like Cool Whip! - YouTube (my chickens like Cool Whip) lol

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
That motorcross helmet may be Snell rated but its not for auto racing. Its rated M for motorcycle. Its your life, just aggravates me to no end when people think its cool to be irresponsible for their own or someone elses life. I can assure you if I was tech at any of the tracks you raced at and you were required to wear a jacket, you would be wearing one, let alone be looking for a properly rated helmet. I suppose you dont even have the proper SFI flywheel, or balancer either? How old are your belts? SFI rated seat ? There is NO EXCUSE for not having the proper safety equipment EVER!

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
That motorcross helmet may be Snell rated but its not for auto racing. Its rated M for motorcycle. Its your life, just aggravates me to no end when people think its cool to be irresponsible for their own or someone elses life. I can assure you if I was tech at any of the tracks you raced at and you were required to wear a jacket, you would be wearing one, let alone be looking for a properly rated helmet. I suppose you dont even have the proper SFI flywheel, or balancer either? How old are your belts? SFI rated seat ? There is NO EXCUSE for not having the proper safety equipment EVER!
You're getting your panties in a wad... all over a simple, unlined jacket... something that has zero effect on you, whatsoever. Do you truly have nothing better to do with your life, and believe that something a simple cotton unlined jacket is worth getting all pent up over? Do you have some alternate reason to try and rain on the fun parade? Geez... lol

Nothing wrong with a MX 'style' helmet. It is carbon fiber and SNELL approved. I ride dirt bikes, and am not spending another few hundred dollars on a special helmet to go to the track 1-2 times per year.

And your attempted point of bringing in tangents such as flywheels, etc? Yea, that stuff is all legal, there Mr. Safety Police.

Get a life. :)

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Oh I have a life, and a dam good one at that. Attack all you want, but at the end of the day, know that I am not the foolish one here.
The ones attacking here... are the fun police. Nobody else here started it... and all over a simple unlined cotton jacket. :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
If being the "fun police" is recognizing or mentioning things that can get you hurt, well then, guilty as charged. I know you're a lost cause, and it's a shame that you persist in reveling in acting reckless. The issues are more than a "cotton" jacket. A legitimate SFI approved jacket is either of Nomex construction or a chemically treated cotton that is fire retardant, not simply a cotton jacket with an sfi patch on it. Loose belts/harness, your just tempting fate.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
If being the "fun police" is recognizing or mentioning things that can get you hurt, well then, guilty as charged. I know you're a lost cause, and it's a shame that you persist in reveling in acting reckless. The issues are more than a "cotton" jacket. A legitimate SFI approved jacket is either of Nomex construction or a chemically treated cotton that is fire retardant, not simply a cotton jacket with an sfi patch on it. Loose belts/harness, your just tempting fate.
Thanks for your concern, but I know my car... and myself, pretty well. I've had the car since age 15, and am 45 now. It was my only car for a very long time, and served as a sole source of transportation, even when it was running in the 10's with the old 289 headed engine. It did way too much street racing back in the days when the vast majority of Fords were slow... right before all the cheap stroker parts and affordable SBF aluminum heads came out. Running a 1/4 mile at the track is actually pretty mild.

You seem like a pretty cool, intelligent guy... and even live in West Virginia like me. I wish you wouldn't start off all negative, and try to butt heads. You'd probably be a good guy to get to know.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts