Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have some AFR 185 heads going onto my 347 Ford build. I purchased an ARP Stud set to go with them. The stud set came with bolt reducing bushes instead of normal washers. This is because the AFR heads are all drilled to 1/2" and the studs for the 185 head is 7/16". The reducing bush is basically a washer with a skirt on that sits in the hole to take up the space and stop any risk of damaging the side of the cavity when torque'ing. I was a bit unsure if I needed a washer as well (even though there were none in the ARP box), so I contacted both AFR and ARP. AFR say I need washers as well, and ARP say I don't and that the bushes are the same as a washer.
Has anyone had this experience and if so what was your conclusion?

Thanks

Martin

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The answer to your question is yes, its a bushing due to the hole size differences, and I would go with ARP's answer, I am sure the bushing is a hardened 'washer' also and 2 washers would make it hard to tq correctly...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
AFR say I need washers as well, and ARP say I don't and that the bushes are the same as a washer.
You follow the manufacturers instructions/suggestions.

The washer (flat ground/hardened) will allow a more even torque load and not possibly gall the bushings.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have used ARP bolts as well as studs. Both sets came with sleeves/ bushings. Follow ARP'S instructions including torque settings. Also, use AZrP thread sealer on threads going into the block and ARzp torque lube on the nut side if youse studs. ARP knows what is best for their fasteners. And oh yes, no washers unless they come with ARP package.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts