Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some main studs for the 351W. ARP sent instructions for head bolts, but not the studs. Looked at ARP's website and it said studs go into block with thread locker hand tight. IS that right?

Then are the nuts torqued to factory specs or something different?

Thanks
Pete

·
Registered
991 Posts
well it depends if you are using moly lube or oil and just throwing studs on the mains can wreak havoc on bearing clearances. Studs have a far superior clamping property, you should always install the studs, then line hone the mains, just pulling out the bolt and replacing with studs is a no-no in my book. I have seen guys do this and have no problems, and guys do this and burn a bearing in a few 100 miles. If you are needing studs to try to prevent the crank walking or for any number of reasons, it should have been done in the machining process, before assembly with bolts

·
Registered
502 Posts
i think they are 120 fp w/oil, 90 fp w/arp lube, but thats from memory. call them at 800 #. thats what i did last time i needed it.
i also thought they were just hand tite in block.

call them. get it right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You have to call ARP on that on to be sure. But they do state that when installing main studs always have the block align honed after installation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts