Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read the article on powershifting and enjoyed it but would like to add a couple things. Take it or leave it--I haven't powershifted in over 25 years (yeah, I'm an old fart of 48 ) This used to be my sequence: Gas pedal hammered to the floor and never let up, my left foot would "kick" and make contact with about a half inch to an inch on the left side of the clutch,(without the rubber on the pedal so it would slide off quickly) trying to put a hole in the floorboard, my right hand is either pushing or pulling the whole way with as much force as I can give it. This worked for me but what do I know, I now shift with a C-4!) It never seemed to hurt it because I used that same tranny in that 67 mustang for over five years with no problem)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67stang351 on 3/14/02 10:30am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67stang351 on 3/14/02 10:32am ]</font>

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm an old fart of 47 and thats close to my way of doing it! Mash the throttle to the floor don't let up, clutch as fast as you can and slam the shifter! I prefer a old hurst Ram Rod shifter. Some people I know just can't seem to grasp this concept. But I sure enjoy it, even at 47. JIM

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Man, sitting here, reading both of your posts, I can smell a little clutch burning from riding the pedal with the linelock on. A quick side-pedal and hammering that V-Gate like there's no tommorow. Gone are those days...."Honey, come here and rub my shoulder, please!"

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Power shiftin? Now 'yer talkin'!!! Sorry to say, it's pretty much a lost art, 'cept for a few old school (aka old farts). Nice article, Jim!!

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Thanks guys! I was nervous about grenading the T5 since it is pretty much a light weight manual. But when the car in the other lane was glued to my door handle I was overcome by a red haze and I started slamming the stick without ever making the conscious decision to power shift. I hit me on the return road. Who says I'm competitive?

JL

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
It's suprising how the little red monster takes over once the lights turn green.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I use to shift my old 67 Camaro SS350 (back in my high school days)without the clutch most of the time when racing ...

Just a slight ease off of the throttle and slap it in the next gear ... Only worked well at specific RPMs so you had to learn the (RPM) pattern.

No ill affects as near as I coud ever tell.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Can someone explain how to shift without the clutch? This is one of those things that sounds cool and I want to try it, but I want to make sure I have a basic idea of what to do. When I say try it, I mean rent a car and half an hour before I return it, give it a whirl.

·
Registered
521 Posts
i worked with a guy once that could "powershift" that 75 dodge that we had outfitted for an ice truck... he tried to show me but i could never get it... i can get it out of gear fine... into gear... aint happening..

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Did some power shifting today, guess I need a better tach, it tripped out a bit. Jumped to 9k, dropped to zero, and then went back to normal. Thats what I get for buying a 20 buck kragens tach eh?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts