Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have an 83 Ford Camper 1 ton Van thingy...

Duraspark Controll module

Started yesterday and stayed running but was leaking fuel all over, removed and re-sealed leaky Holley.

Not charging, so I replaced the voltage regulator after testing it, and finding it bad.

Starts today but does NOT stay running unless you hang on the starter...

Checked voltage to the coil with key on and get 12V to both sides with key in the run position, and now there is no way to check if it's charging now because the damn thing won't stay running! SHAT!!!!!

Could it be the Duraspark or maybe the IGN switch on th column? How would I Troubleshoot either or both of these?

I've never had this many things go shatty on a Ford like this... It's usually chebby's that give me the multiple breakage issues and I can handle the chebby's but the Ford's Duraspark is foreign to me... What canst I doeth?

FE

·
Registered
502 Posts
if you are saying that it wont stay running unless you keep the key in the start position, then its the run circuit to the ign or the ignition switch. most fords get power to the ignition system for spark thru 2 circuits. one circuit is activated in the start position. the other is powered in the run position. sounds like you only are getting power in the start position. may be ignition switch; may be wiring or the fusible link in the wiring may be blown. hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You must also have power to the red wire at the ignition module.You are only getting it to the white ignition timing retard wire in the crank position.Like was stated,check for power there,posible fusible link{also resistor wire},or faulty ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
34,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it's possible that it's a link wire, yesterday itr ran great... But, explaining that to a customer is hard to do... They think that if it breaks then SOMEONE had something to do with it being Broke... You know the score on that...

Power to red at IGN Module as well as the white timing retard.... Hmmmmmmm...

Ok, I'll go back out there and poke and fillde and test and pretend to know what I'm doing... Damn Campers! {Grumble...}

Thanks guy's!

FE

1 - 8 of 8 Posts