Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i recently had a full exhaust put on consisting of 2 1/4 from the headers to the 2 1/2 flowmaster 40 series and then dumped with 3 inch turn downs right off the mufflers and ill be honest its quiet and sucks ass!

I had the same setup before just no mufflers and it was better but cackled when i let off on the highway and sounded like it was back firing.

I am thinking about going ahead and running it out the back of the car and putting on 3-3 1/2 inch tips on it and was wondering if this will make it rumble?

I called a few places and they said that it would sound much better being ran all the way to the back rather than dumps.

What do you guys suggest?Will i be louder and more aggressive sounding with it going to the rear bumper rather than dumps?Not to mention the exhaust at stoplights is about to make me puke!

I need advice on whats the loudest and most agressive sounding while keeping these mufflers.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
IT WILL...PROBABLY, SOUND BETTER TO YOUR NEIGHBORS, GET YOU LESS NOTICE FROM THE POLICE AND KEEP YOU FROM SLOWLY DYING FROM CARBON MONOXIDE...BUT DUMPS UNDER THE CAR TRAP AND HOLD THE HEAVY BASS NOTES FROM THE EXHAUST - I DOUBT IF IT WILL BE MORE AGRESSIVE GOING ALL THE WAY OUT THE BACK, PROBABLY LESS!

I'VE NEVER BEEN A FAN OF OPEN EXHAUST, NON-MUFFLED OR REAL LOUD EXHAUST ON A STREET DRIVEN CAR...SOME PEOPLE ARE, GUESS THATS WHY THEY PUT SIDE PIPES ON COBRAS AND CORVETTES, BACK IN THE OLD DAYS.

EVEN AT THE TRACK, IN MANY PLACES, THEY ARE STARTING TO ENFORCE NOISE LEVEL STANDARDS.

IF YOU WANT TO ENHANCE THE SOUND, YOU COULD GO WITH FULL 3IN. TAIL PIPES ALL THE WAY TO THE BACK OF THE CAR. I GUARANTEE, THE RUMBLE WILL BE IMPRESSIVE!

THE GOOD THING ABOUT OPEN PIPES, IT WILL IRRATATE THE HELL OUT OF THE "BUMP A THUMP RUMPS" IN THE POCKET ROCKETS!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/21/04 1:30am ]</font>

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The farther back you go (longer pipe) the quieter it will get.I run the single chamber flowmasters and had the turn downs at the mufflers.Sounded great til about the 5th stop light.Just couldn't stand that much drone.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
The Yellow Monster (PIC below) is running a pretty nasty 351C 4V with full length Hooker Competition headers to 2.5" pipes (with "H-Pipe" ...) to a pair of three chamber FlowMasters then 3" tail pipes to the rear valance exiting through a pair of 3.5" chrome tips.

This set-up is far, far from quiet and if it were any louder it would get irritating on the street pretty quickly.

At Idle or at 4,500 RPMs it sounds pretty damn awsome

A bunch of guys on the forum have heard this car run, so maybe they can chime in with what they think of the rumble ... if it will help you .

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: monstermach on 6/21/04 9:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what engine is this exhaust on?

I had headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, x-pipe, and flowmaster original 40 series mufflers installed on my stock 390. It sounded good but was rather quiet. I ran it out the back of the Galaxie and put 6" chrome tips on it. It would slightly rap when I'd get on it, but nothing major. Definitely did not rumble or turn heads.

Now, with the topend on my Galaxie built up and the Performer RPM cam in the 390, it rumbles like an SOB and is nice and loud. I think it's COOL.

Exhaust sound before engine buildup:
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicles/showmedia.php?id=116562

Exhaust sound after engine buildup:
http://www.supermotors.org/registry/vehicles/showmedia.php?id=116603

The engine buildup made a huge difference. If it's a relatively stock motor, you'll probably have to go with some chrome tips/cans for the exhaust tips to make it louder.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: erlong on 6/21/04 10:01am ]</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts