Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of hosepower and torque is your 331 putting out if I may ask and how does thye cam sound does it have a good lope to it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 331 puts out 401 HP @6500 and 376 on torque. The cam has a definate lope. When warmed up it'll idle at 700, nice sounding, the sound matchs the looks of the car. It doesn't spend that much time idling though! The perfromance of the cam is outstanding, pulls hard all the way up to shift time.
The cam has a 110 lobe center, duration is 292/298 and at .050 its 248/242. With the 1.6 rockers the lift is at .499, .512. At 600 lift, before porting the heads flowed 219 int., 156 ex., after porting 231 int., 181 ex. This was pocket porting only. All the machine work was done at Valley Balancing with Ken Boyd at the controls. (a little plug for Kenny)
I had another cam in the motor at first. It was a comp cam with a 106 lobe center, part number 31-641-5. The motor sounded like a drag car delux. (My buddy Larry Giley who drags his Dodge up at the Sacramento raceway will verify the cars performance). It wouldn't idle under 1300. Had a major problem with the cam, it ate up a few distributor gears. I thought it was the high volume oil pump so I changed that pump to a standard volume, changed gears on the distributor, guess what, another chewed up gear. So after many calls to comp cams I finally talked to the right guy and he tells me they are having an incompatability problem with that cam and MSD ditributor gears. Oh boy, I was pissed. So now the whole front and top of the motor comes off and redid it with the crower cam and new solid lifters. No problems now what so ever!! I'm glad that it happened in a way because it made me do some more serious research on cams using desktop dyno. I bet I ran forty different cams through. You would think the bigger cam would do better but NO NO NO, for this motor a smaller cam made way more HP and torque. I'm real happy with my set up. Geez I guess I got a little long winded here, oh well.

Mark

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info Mark.What carb are you running is your 331 balanced?So you are running the windsor jr. heads with them ported am I correct.I got a orginal ford cobra aluminum oil pan for it I believe it is 7.5 qts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your looking at a Barry Grant Road Race 650 with a Edlebrock performer RPM. Its jetted at 70 front 78 rear, 4.5 power valve. A single plane would have made slightly more power on top end for a brief moment, but for overall power band the dual plane does just fine.
The aluminum pan sounds nice, but if it were me I'd sell it. Get something with gates and surge dams with the side pockets for more capacity and oil control. Those origional Shelby stamped aluminum pan are great for a show car or for origionality but if something happens to it you wish you would have sold it while it was still worth something.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mark,
What would that combo be like with the victor jr. or the old style torker I already have the old style torker with a holley 750 double pumper.What type of horse would it make then.Which of the 2 intakes would you recommend?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Flip a coin. You are going to find a zillion opionions about which is better. With that 750 and victor you wouldn't want it to bog down on take off. It's going to depend on your heads and flow-velocity stuff. It's no big deal to pull off an intake and try different combo's down stream. Probably no matter what it's going to go plenty fast anyway, so unless you are racing for pink slips, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just play around with it, that's the fun of these cars anyway!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts