Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to bolt up the Aussie 351 Cleveland heads to an American 302 Windsor block without major modifications? Also, I would like to be able to use my same intake (Weiand Xcellerator). Are there any adapters made for this conversion? What are the complications?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I'm sure someone here knows more than me on this, but

Here's my two cents

Water passages in the heads need to be worked.

I believe the 302 block uses smaller diameter head bolts ... special head bolts are needed for the application.

Also a special intake is required.

This is all stuff that is done all the time ... should be very do-able for you too.

Good Luck

Larry Madsen
Las Vegas Nevada

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MonsterMach on 4/3/02 8:33am ]</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
YES! Whe you do, it is called a Boss 302.... SERIOUSLY! You will need to get a Boss 302 intake, and you will ahve to relaly work the intake ports to open them up. There will also be some coolant passage modifications to be made, but there are not many.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There motor has been knick named the "Clevor"
CLEVland/windsOR

do a search on the web for the CLEVOR
and see where that takes you ?
There are some guys who do the conversion
but ive never seen one run good luck !

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Well ... not quite a "BOSS 302" ...

That was done by Ford with 4V style heads ... not the 2V (Aussie) heads.

But, for all intents and purposes the process will be the same

·
Registered
46 Posts
the coolant passage mods are detailed in the back section of the ford racing catolog. Well atleast the 2001 version, i dont have the 2002 edition so im not sure if it is there too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
DO NOT...REPEAT...DO NOT use the dimensions in the back of FORD parts book.Wait till you get the manifold AND gaskets. Use the intake gasket as a guide and drill to match. Been there, done that, got the shirt, wore it out. Had to weld, re-surface, and re-drill.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
bush performance has these motors on crate. they have them in 289, 302 and 351w. your choice of 4v heads or 2v heads.

they also sell just the manifold. they told me 399 for the manifold for the windsor and 2v aussie heads.

i could give number if you want it to the.

and BY THE WAY, wouldn't a boss 302 manifold be EXPENSIVE AS f#%!? and wouldn't it not work cuz it's 4v heads not 2v heads?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info...I read some of the 351W conversions, but I didn't know if they were the same as throwing the Clevelands on the 302W.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I think there the same. You need push rods intake and pistons the rest is gaskets and drilling some hole and pluging some.

Good luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did the same conversion a few years back (maybe 12 yrs
)
I think I used holden 6 cylinder head bolt to mount the heads (correct length and thread) The water passage in the manifold side of the head had to be blocked I rounded the hole and used a welsh plug, You have have to use a boss type inlet manifold and cleveland extractors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts