Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been pulled over by the authoriites several time, flipped off everytime I go out, & pepole are always raising theri hands. the factory design of the tail lights on the 68 torino fastback are.... the tail light bucket has a single dual filament bulb which is positioned behind a bar that supports the back-up light and lens. the light from the tail light is supposed to refect off of the bucket and tranmit to the convex lens. poor design i am constantly harassed from everyone. has anybody experienced a similar situation? ant ideas on modifications?
thanks

·
Registered
813 Posts
You mean its too dim??
If so, take the lens out and spray the inside of the buckets with a bright reflective silver paint.....or have them chrome plated.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
Check your wiring also, especially the ground. Old wiring and weak grounds can cause weak lighting. As send also the backing around the bulb has to be reflective or the little light the bulb puts out is absorbed into the background.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to try the paint. I have checked the wiring several times. I think the real problem lies in how people expect 2005 performance out of 1968 technology. Even me, I really expect better tail light / brake light performance.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
hopefully freshening up the reflector will do the trick- I know what you mean about the old style lenses- tried putting LED bulbs in my 65 gal when a bulb went out, found out you cannot see them AT ALL in daylight...had to go back to the old style filiment lamps...was glad I checked before driving

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi cornhauler, for what its worth I have a '69 fastback and the tailights are not noticeably dimmer than anything else on the road. In fact, I enjoy being in a car driving behind mine because I really like how the taillights look.
I take it you have checked your wiring with an ohmeter, and checked for voltage drop/ high resistance. A test light won't give the whole picture. Sorry if this is old news to you, just tryin' to help!!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Try 2057 bulbs too. They are higher candlepower bulbs than 1157's. Stu

1 - 7 of 7 Posts