Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
auto floor shifter

I'm gonna get a floor shifter for my C4 when I get my paycheck. What I want to know is this, what modifications do I need to do to make this shifter work?

Here is the one I'm gonna get.

HUU-3160009 AMC/Chrysler: A727, A904 forward pattern; Ford: C-4, C-6 forward pattern, Quarter Stick shifter ...

I don't know much about tranmissions and shifters, so any help would surely be that, help. Thanks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rod n az on 5/14/02 3:30am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
auto floor shifter

You shouldn't need any extra "stuff" other than what comes in the box with the shifter. On C4-C6's your probably gonna hafta cut the factory "bell crank" off the tranny. I had to cut mine off finally and use the one Hurst sent in their kit. I tried to use the original shift lever, but I just couldn't get the "throw" correct and the gears never really wanted to line up like I liked. I put a Hurst Pro-matic in my car last fall and it was fairly straight forward. It takes some time, but the finished product is o-so-cool compared to the granny column shifter I used to have. You'll like yours too. Good luck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
auto floor shifter

What exactly are you refering to when you say the bell crank? Why do you have to remove it? Also, did you do anything to the column shifter collar to hide it after you installed the floor shifter? Do you like the B&M shifters?

·
Registered
521 Posts
auto floor shifter

hey.. thats the same shifter i got!!
i dont know any of the technical terms for stuff.. but when i bought mine it had all the different uh.. "plates?" that mount onto the transmission. it took me and my roommate at the time most of a saturday (like 7hrs) to install it, but we had to drill a place to mount it, and we wanted to make sure we did it right... and i'm DAMN HAPPY with it

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
auto floor shifter

I got it ordered from Jeg's, so it should be here by Friday definatly. I have Saturday off from school and work, so I can install it on Saturday.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
auto floor shifter

Rod, read the instruction carefully, and have everything ready before you start. I have a B&M I was going to install in my Fairlane, but decided to find a stock floor shift instead. Just waiting on buckets before I really decide.
Have fun, takes pix of the car when done.

Rick

·
Registered
46 Posts
auto floor shifter

I put in a floor shifter on an auto. When I first pulled the shifter out the box, it seemed like it would be tough but it went pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
auto floor shifter

On 2002-05-16 00:21, DynoTom wrote:
That's a damn good shifter choice!

It's easy to install that shifter on a C-4.

It's the same shifter I run in the Falcon.
Great minds think alike.

I noticed I have the same guages as the Falcon as well, Autometer Sport-Comp fuel level, water temp, oil pressure, voltmeter, and the VDO speedometer you sold me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts