Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ranchero overheated today! Oh boy!!
Plenty of coolant, thermostat tested good, radiator has good flow. No oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil. No problems in the morning. Waterpump bearing appears to be fine.
Backflushed the engine and the radiator. Replaced the thermostsat, fresh coolant.
I noticed the lower hose had collapsed when I was trying to cool it down. This I had never seen.
Any suggestions?
I know this is some basic thang. Please try to point me in the right direction.

Thanx, Mike

63 Ranchero
260 with a 4 speed
No Mods

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, after checking over things and reading the post about the crud in the cap, I decided to replace the cap and this may have led me to my problem......
The Stant catalog calls for a 7 pound cap.
The cap I WAS running was a 13 pound cap!
Could I have found the problem?
The 13 pounder is now on the bench and a brand spankin' new 7 pounder resides in its place.
It's been pretty warm here lately so I'll take it on a little ride tomorrow in the afternoon and see how she behaves.
I'll post the findings tomorrow!!
Thanx, Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
You should still change the hose that collapsed. As hoses age they do two things- harden at the ends near clamps (where edge is exposed to air) and weaken in the middle. If it collapsed once- it will do it again. It may also collapse and split open. Cheap insurance to replace it.

The reinforcement that should be inside is not actually a 'spring' it just looks like one. It's actually a wound piece of rigid wire to support the inside of the hose to prevent exactly what we're talking about- when you get a replacement- make sure this is inside- it should be sold installed as part of the hose.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.