Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is apparently a metal or brass pipe looking piece that's supposed to go on top of the check ball in the carb. I don't recall my carb having that, but I may be mistaken. Do you know if it's required to have that metal sleeve over the check ball? Sorry, this is my first carb rebuild

·
Registered
63 convertable
1,026 Posts
it is needed. it makes the pressure be high enough to spray into the venturi. without it the acc. pump will dribble

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright. Thank you. There was a brass piece that came with the kit but it is entirely too large to fit in that hole

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The metal piece on top of the ball is supposed to be a small solid metal rod.
It acts as a weight on the ball.
Its possible not all carbs use it. It “might” be ok without it.
I don’t think it comes in the repair kit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a really large one that came with the kit, but unfortunately it's too large for this application. There is a screw that runs through the Venturi with a hollow end, the lead weight is way too big to fit in the hole of the screw, Therefore I cannot install the venturi using that Weight. Would you guys try to run without it or try to find that weight. I'm borderline about to put this 2 barrel on a shelf and just get a holley 4 barrel

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think the large brass part you have is actually item 65 in the exploded view: Motorcraft 2100 Exploded View - Mikes Carburetor Parts
Item 8 is the part you are talking about, it may be fine as is, it is to stop fuel draining back to the accelerator pump so you get a good pump shot of fuel (and not air). if you fill the bowl up with fuel and work the throttle you will be able to see if the accelerator pump is squirting properly or just dribbling out with out the check rod.
you can get a new check rod here Holley 1970 Carburetor Float Pin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That shows to be for a 4 barrel, but it says it also fits 2100 series, so I believe they would be the same. Mine does have an 1/8" inlet in the screw

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah, the kits don't come with those, so you should always keep track of that and don't lose it! I have enough cars that run these carbs that I've amassed a bit of a spare carb parts stash from some parts-carbs I've acquired over the years. Little stuff like those can easily be lost. You can make one of those out of a nail, by the way. It just needs to be heavy enough to hold the check ball down and skinny enough to fit in the aperture of the screw.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, the kits don't come with those, so you should always keep track of that and don't lose it! I have enough cars that run these carbs that I've amassed a bit of a spare carb parts stash from some parts-carbs I've acquired over the years. Little stuff like those can easily be lost. You can make one of those out of a nail, by the way. It just needs to be heavy enough to hold the check ball down and skinny enough to fit in the aperture of the screw.
I definitely would have done that, but Ive already ordered one from Mikes Carburetor. And yes, I normally dont lose stuff like that, but my stepson decided to wrap up everything in a towel while I was working and put it in my toolbox, so that nothing got lost. Im not sure if it originally didnt have one or if he possibly could have lost it on accident.

·
Premium Member
6,020 Posts
Best go with stock piece. I once used a nail but it would get stuck at the top of the tube, took a while figuring out what was wrong. Still, sometimes you have to improvise with what's in the kits. The gasket for my booster set was too thin, realized that when testing and they wouldn't squirt properly. Same thing with the PV gasket. Trust, but verify!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Best go with stock piece. I once used a nail but it would get stuck at the top of the tube, took a while figuring out what was wrong. Still, sometimes you have to improvise with what's in the kits. The gasket for my booster set was too thin, realized that when testing and they wouldn't squirt properly. Same thing with the PV gasket. Trust, but verify!
Thanks! I ordered the one from Mike's Carb and finished the rebuild today. Runs great

1 - 13 of 13 Posts