Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I did some work to my 2100 on my 289. Rather than trying to hunt down a different carb with the larger venturis, I simply took a die grinder and ported out my existing carb. My venturis are now 1.25", and I will probably go larger next time I have it apart. I had to jet it up some since there is now more airflow through the carb for a given pressure drop across the venturis. It runs great and seems to have picked up some power. I went from 48s to 59s on jetting, but that might actually be too much because after I finished I discovered and fixed a vacuum leak (stupid choke! didn't realize that broken tube had vacuum in it.) I think 55s are about the right size, or thereabouts. I gotta check my plugs and see what they look like.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Thats cool!I did that things a lot.Mostly for buddys with no money.
I always start with a bigger 1.14" 2100.You can find them on 351 2bbls and fox mustangs etc.. BigBlock 2bbls are best!
Then i remove the choke horn totally.I mean right to the boosters,like on a race carb.Knife edging the throttle blades and jetting up would be the last step.
I swear i could always make them work as good as a 250buck Holley 500 2bbl without a penny.LOL!!
Olli

·
Registered
300 Posts
Oh yeah:A 79 Mustang 2bbl aluminum! intake is a very nice piece too!But it will need a bit gasket matching were it meets the heads.Homemade open spacers from those PCV adaptors also worked wonders for me(mucho more cfm!)
Olli

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info dude! I thought about doing the open spacer, glad to see that it will in fact work. Did you notice a big improvement from that? And did you try gutting the intake plenum too? On Cadillac motors, it really helps top end power to remove the dividers and open up the plenum.

I may do the choke horn too like you described since I live in a warm state (Alabama) and the choke is not really necessary. And knife edging the throttle blades is smart. I plan to narrow the throttle shaft too. I does feel like I've gained some power with just opening up the venturi, and best of all, gas mileage has not worsened.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The open spacer thing makes a huge difference.If you jet up and go for the biggest pump shot it kills no low end at all.I feel that you just could'nt overcarburate with a 2bbl,LOL!
I did the intake gutting only on bigblocks too.Wanted to try it before i bought my first single plane.Don't forget to modify your dizzy with soft springs.It's like day+night!
Good Luck,
Olli

1 - 5 of 5 Posts