Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just installed our Autolite 4100 after rebuild and noticed the choke blade closes as the butterflies open. Is this normal or did our carb guy get something wrong during the rebuild? It also seems we cant get the idle turned down enough. On a good note it started right up and ran good after being in storage for 13 years. Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
We just installed our Autolite 4100 after rebuild and noticed the choke blade closes as the butterflies open.
Hey Mr. 66G,
Do you mean when you open the Throttle that the Choke goes closed?

Is this normal or did our carb guy get something wrong during the rebuild?
Does this happen even when the Engine is at operating temperature?

It also seems we cant get the idle turned down enough.
Does this mean that the Curb Idle Screw is all the way out and the Engine is still running too fast?

On a good note it started right up and ran good after being in storage for 13 years.
The Car or the Carburetor?

Thanks for any advice.
You might be able to check your Throttle/Choke Linkage from the JPGs here:

Autolite 4100 1.12 C4AF-9510 DG Carburetor

HTH

JC

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the carb has been switched over to manual choke. as the throttle blades open the choke blade starts to close. the carb is installed on the engine and this happens when the engine is running and when it is shut. as far as the idle, we can completely back out the idle screw so it is not touching anything and it still seems to run to fast. now that i think about it that could probably be fixed with the air/fuel screws in the front but maybe not. the choke blade closing as the throttle opens has me scratching my head.

·
Administrator
21,924 Posts
I love my 4100 but sounds like something was hooked up backwards on the choke side. Adjust the fuel/air to about 2 1/2 screws out i think it is as a base setting. Is the linkage pulling the throttle back at all? Maybe try disconnecting the rod to the choke and fix in wide open position and see if it idles ok then.

Here is a PDF file manual for the 4100, it might help figure out what isn't connected properly.
http://www.carburetor-blog.com/manuals/autolite_4100_manual.pdf

And here's a rebuild in pictures to go along with JC's
http://68vert.blogspot.com/2011/11/this-old-carb.html

Anyone needing a manual there is a list of carbs here, they are free
http://carburetor-blog.com/?page_id=335/

·
Premium Member
6,078 Posts
When the choke comes off, the blinkers come on? :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The blinkers don work but running lights dO so we think it is on the switch in the column

·
Premium Member
6,078 Posts
do your emergency flashers work? If not try replacing the flasher since it runs the blinkers too. Also see if you have the right bulbs in all corners. Front 1157A, rear 1157.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts