Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
63 convertable
651 Posts
i hope you mean the coil when you say 8volts running. you can tap into the voltage regulator for the power for the choke

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Voltage regulator was cut out and disconnected by the previous owner when they installed the alternator. I was talking about the starter solenoid, and I think it had a relay on that.

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So the starter solenoid went out on me over the weekend, so I had to replace it. I decided to unwrap all of the wiring on that side of the engine compartment, and figure out how everything was connected. So the alternator I have on the car is a GM one-wire SI, with the 1 wire connected to the dummy light. The weird thing is it first goes to another SP ST (Single Pole - Single Throw) relay mounted to the wheel well. The wire from the alternator runs to 87, 85 is the ground, and 86 goes out, I assume to the dummy light. 30, which should be connected to 12v source, but it is not connected to anything. So it is basically not being used correctly, or at all. Not even sure why it is on the harness in the first place.

What sucked today is i got a new Starter Solenoid from O'Reilly, hooked it up, and it was defective right off the bat. The starter failed to disengage due to it being energized. I turned the key off, and the engine and starter stayed energized. I quickly pulled the battery cable off, which killed the engine. I went and got a new solenoid, and that one worked just fine. Anyone ever encounter something like this?

So, now I need to figure out if I can use the relay for my electric choke. Obviously I will need to wire it differently. Any input is appreciated.
Wiring diagram Alternator - Starter.jpg

41 - 45 of 45 Posts